Super Contributor

Has anybody had this happen with minoxidil?

I recently started using minoxidil for thinning hair. My hair is completelly white with no dark hair. I was originally a dark brunette with coarse wavy thick hair. My hair has thinned considerably since going on blood thinners.

I started using minoxidil about 3-4 months ago. I am noticing lots of new hair. However, a significant portion of it ((about 10-15%) is coming in dark brunette!!! My late sister used it and got good results but no change in hair color. I'm not complaining but am wondering if others have had this happen.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anybody had this happen with minoxidil?

[ Edited ]

Minoxidil works by increasing blood flow to the hair follicles where the blood provides nutrients to the follicles so that the follicles get bigger and produce hair. There are also pigment producing cells (melanocytes) located near the follicles. Some melanocytes become dormant for various reasons, for instance aging or genetics, leading to gray or white hair. Minoxidil can cause the melanocytes to 'reawaken' and start producing dark hair once again. But not everyone will experience that effect. Melanocytes can go dormant indefinitely while others can regain activity to produce dark hair again. The reasons are not clearly understood.

Honored Contributor

This is happening to my neighbor who also had dark hair before turning gray.  

Honored Contributor

When you are losing your hair, and it suddenly starts growing back, any color is acceptable, ! Enjoy the new growth. Consider it a real blessing. 

Honored Contributor

I could not use Minoxidil because it made my scalp itch, but in a way that I couldn't scratch it.  Drove me crazy.  However, I use MD Grande Lash on my eyebrows and they started coming in dark again.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Minoxidil works by increasing blood flow to the hair follicles where the blood provides nutrients to the follicles so that the follicles get bigger and produce hair. There are also pigment producing cells (melanocytes) located near the follicles. Some melanocytes become dormant for various reasons, for instance aging or genetics, leading to gray or white hair. Minoxidil can cause the melanocytes to 'reawaken' and start producing dark hair once again. But not everyone will experience that effect. Melanocytes can go dormant indefinitely while others can regain activity to produce dark hair again. The reasons are not clearly understood.

@SilleeMee   Do you know anything about 3 pc. "hair growth" shampoo, conditioners and a growth serum? I'm not sure if the serum has a high enough % of a minoxidil type ingredient to change hair color. I'm thinking about Kerinique and several others.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee   Do you know anything about 3 pc. "hair growth" shampoo, conditioners and a growth serum? I'm not sure if the serum has a high enough % of a minoxidil type ingredient to change hair color. I'm thinking about Kerinique and several others.

@Shanus 

I do not know enough about that kind of product to give you an answer.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess   I had the same problem...terrible itching.  I could scratch it, but my. scalp was raw.  ICK!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee @ChouChou 

I have Lichen planopilaris, a scarring alopecia.

i have lots of new hair (YAY🎉) and it is now curly but the color has not returned.

That's ok though...my hair is the best it has been in years❣️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 

That's wonderful you got your hair back! Was that because of Minoxidil?