Honored Contributor

Re: Has Sephora gone downhill or is it just my luck?

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I guess that I'm lucky, I have no complaints about Sephora, and the 10.00 I spent to insure free shipping was money well spent.

That would be the day that I'd pay money for a company to ship my items like they are supposed to...fast & free! They do warn those that opted for this "perk" that its null and void during their big sales. SMH

"Pure Michigan"
Occasional Contributor

Has Sephora gone downhill?  Yep.  Is it just your luck?  Nope!

Occasional Contributor

Nordstrom's has some of the best customer service that I've ever had the pleasure with which to deal.

Respected Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

My entire VIB order was cancelled. It took weeks before they let me know. What I ordered was IT bye bye redness and Clinique lipstick Nothing special.

In stock items.

This year I have had the best luck with Macys. Very prompt shipping. Nordstrom, also.

After my order was cancelled I now am receiving notices that my status is being downgraded because I didn't spend quite enough money??? So many places are now offering discounts on cosmetics every now and again tha Sephora is not the draw it once was.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I don’t know if it has gone downhill since I no longer order a ton from there but they do need to step up their game. Especially where Ulta is concerned and even Macy’s.  Much better deals than Sephora.   Sephora still carries brands that Ulta does not, but I see them catching up eventually. 

They need to move their cheese. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sephora used to be the place to go to actually experiment with products before buying.  They were even more generous with offering samples to take home to try before buying.  It stands to reason that given their success with this formula the department stores carrying many of the same brands adjusted how they operated their much larger counters for these brands, and IMO are now providing a better shopping experience.  Then of course every brand also has their own brand website to compete with the beauty and department stores. 

Speaking for myself my reasons for less shopping at Sephora are:

1) I can see more products and colors of makeup of the brands I like at the larger department store counters;

2) Their rewards program is insulting in that it really doesn't give me anything for my loyalty;

3) Department stores and brand websites are just as generous as Sephora with samples for those who find being able to try products an incentive. 

3) Perhaps this may be isolated to the locations I visit, but the sales staff are a bit more pushy than in the past.  They used to only approach upon request, or if a customer appears to need help finding something.

I could go on, but those are the key reasons. 

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

My recent order included a makeup bag full of samples (I found a code on ebates).  "Sephora" was printed on the makeup bag...sort of.  The print is messed up, and even though it was free, it's a little odd to me that a store which sells high end merchandise would let something like this ship.

Worse than that, I ordered a travel brush set, and the faux leather case has a pen mark on it.  Not sure how I'm going to get that off, but come on...really Sephora???

I also never received the 3 samples I selected at checkout.

I hadn't ordered from Sephora in a few years.  But this order was kind of a big deal to me, because it was a reward I was giving myself for following through on some things that were really challenging for me. 

I figured they just didn't care that much about my order because I rarely order from them.  Guess that wasn't it.  It sounds like they just suck now.  

I haven't gotten any of the samples I"ve asked for the last 3 orders.  They either substitute with some ridiculous primer that I'll never use or just give me nothing.  Their CS is still better than Ulta.  Ulta has gotten better but I was at an Ulta over the holidays, and the manager was rude when I was trying to exchange a product.  They couldn't find it on my account as it only goes back 60 days.  I bought it as a gift.  They'd only give me a penny for it so I kept it.    I thought they improved a lot, but now...probably not so much.

Sephora only has gone downhill with their free samples.  Besides that, the shipping is uusually fast, and I like their sales associates.   Ulta does have much better sales--far more daily specials--at least during the holidays.  But, Sephora had extra 20% off sale this week which Ulta didn't. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

The lighting in some Sephora’s has improved and it’s no longer that ‘black cave experience’ anymore. The JCP Sephora’s all where I live need lighting improvements. Very hard to see foundations, blushes & eye shadows in darkened lighting.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl   Whenever I was in a Sephora store, I never found the sales associates to  be helpful.  They preferred to stand around and talk to each other and this was every time I was in the store.  I prefer Nordstrom.  Nordstorm gives you excellent service, sales and free shipping.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I guess that I'm lucky, I have no complaints about Sephora, and the 10.00 I spent to insure free shipping was money well spent.

That would be the day that I'd pay money for a company to ship my items like they are supposed to...fast & free! They do warn those that opted for this "perk" that its null and void during their big sales. SMH

ID2:  They aren't obligated "to ship your items fast & free," so I'm not sure why you continue to mention it in various Sephora threads.  If you place a $50 order, you will receive free shipping or if you pay $10 a year for Flash shipping you receive free 2 day shipping on any size order.  Flash is free for Rouge members.  Also, even though it's stated on their website that shipping may take longer during busy peak times with holidays or special promos, I still receive my orders within 2 days.  I'm sure there are times where shipping is delayed, but it isn't necessarily "null and void during big sales" as you've stated.    

♥ Life is beauty full ♥