Super Contributor

Re: Harper's Bazaar ""Seven Must-Have Beauty Products""

On 1/25/2015 kristan said:

Who decides these are the "must haves"?

I'm thinking whoever forks over the $$$, decides this.

Trusted Contributor

Thats interesting but you know how it is: what works for one doesn't necessarily mean it will work for everyone. Like the rest of you, I have tried many things but I'm at a place now where I have found what works for me and performs as advertised. When it comes to mascara and eyeliner I love IT Cosmetics original mascara (don't care for the new one with fibers or the tight line) and I love their waterproof gel eyeliner in the jar which stays in place until "you" take it off and their new "build a brow" in the jar which also stays in place until "you" take it off. In terms of a finishing powder that reduces the look of pores, I love Chanel's finishing powder. I have been using it for about 6 months and its fabulous and worth the $$ because you get a lot of product and it stays put on your face. It also received 70 five star reviews on Nordstrom's website so obviously its a favorite of many.

Respected Contributor

On 1/25/2015 Southern Fried Chick said:

Who decides these are the "must haves"?

I'm thinking whoever forks over the $$$, decides this.

You are spot on, Missy! Lol!

Super Contributor

Who decides these are the ""must haves""?

ITA. I wouldn't use one thing on that list.

Respected Contributor

On 1/25/2015 GmaJewele said:
On 1/24/2015 BeckiWV said:

I just cannot imagine that Cover Girl's poreless defender dupe is as good as Mally's product, although I confess I haven't tried that one.

I have tried Loreal's version and Avon's solid version (which I think is discontinued). Neither are nearly as good as Mally's. Not even close.

Now, Skinn's version is pretty good. I do like it. However, for me, Mally's poreless defender cannot be beat. It is amazing.

Does the poreless defender make your skin look dry? Do you use it with a brush over your make-up (I use Smashbox Halo), or with a puff and press it into your skin?? Over or under make-up or does it matter? I'd like to try that!

I use it as my final step applying makeup.

I slowly PRESS it on in small sections where it looks like I need it. It's not like a powder at all. I press rather firmly and slowly.

I LOVE the stuff! I think I've tried every powder when my skin was oilier, and this works THE BEST. None of that powder-y type of look. Just finished and "poreless."

Hyacinth

Contributor

I've heard of people having eye problems when the fibers of that mascara get into the eye socket
Honored Contributor

I tried the skinn version of the poreless finishing stuff and it did not work for me. I now use RCMA's no color powder. $10 for 3 ounces and it is fabulous!
Esteemed Contributor

I just cannot imagine that Cover Girl's poreless defender dupe is as good as Mally's product, although I confess I haven't tried that one.

I have tried Loreal's version and Avon's solid version (which I think is discontinued). Neither are nearly as good as Mally's. Not even close.

Now, Skinn's version is pretty good. I do like it. However, for me, Mally's poreless defender cannot be beat. It is amazing.

Does the poreless defender make your skin look dry? Do you use it with a brush over your make-up (I use Smashbox Halo), or with a puff and press it into your skin?? Over or under make-up or does it matter? I'd like to try that!

I lightly press it on over makeup with a sponge. I think it does a really good job. It makes my skin look matte but still dewy, not dry. I do have oily skin so I don't know if that makes a difference. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 1/25/2015 BeckiWV said:

I lightly press it on over makeup with a sponge. I think it does a really good job. It makes my skin look matte but still dewy, not dry. I do have oily skin so I don't know if that makes a difference. Smiley Happy

I think Mally's is great too.

Honored Contributor

Who decides these are the ""must haves""?

lol... I rarely pay attention to lists unless I am looking for a specific type of product that they talk about. I'm positive I never went out & bought everything they recommend.