New Contributor

Hard to purchase a new frangrance from TV, any suggestions?

I would love a new perfume that has lasting staying power, with a light spring summer scent that is not overpowering, but good for work and also casual evening outings.

I loveThierry Mugler Angel which has some citrus as well as patchouli, and long staying power. I may have to go back to it but it is quite pricey, but does last. I enjoy the feel of having a light scent that people notice and compliment but that is never overpowering. It is nice to leave a positive impact, even with something so simple.

Does QVC have any that one would like to recommend to research? I have bought three or four on line just by the ingredients and some are dreadful, awful. I cannot even donate them to thrift stores, what to do with them?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hard to purchase a new frangrance from TV, any suggestions?

I recommend Jo Malone.   A floral scent or even a fruit scent will last longer. If you go to her website all ingredients are listed for each scent.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@JojoinMO, even knowing the ingredients, fragrance is a tough buy without smelling in person and trying on.  The ingredient deck can only tell you what's in it, not the amount of each note.  That, and one's body chemistry, is a key reason why one fragrance can smell so different on different people.  

Good luck with the search.  From the QVC inventory I don't mind recommending Nest because they smell terrific on me.  Midnight Fleur wouldn't be right considering your desired effect as it's intense and more of an evening scent to me.  For light, summery, and lasting Indigo, Dahlia & Vines, or Citrine may be to your liking.  Citrine really may the most summery. I find it tends to dry down more like outdoor fresh, and less floral bouquet than other Nest scents.  QVC presently has a set in stock (A257165), which includes Citrine EDP and full size body cream for $85.  

Respected Contributor

Everyone's tastes are so different in scents. I think you have to know what category it falls into. I prefer Spicy or Oriental scents. No florals at all for me. What I like about Jo Malone is that she categorizes her scents. So you know exactly if it will suit your taste. Some of these presenters need to do a better job of describing their scents. Don't say that it smells like Heaven or will take you to a special place. What the heck does that mean?

Respected Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

Don't say that it smells like Heaven or will take you to a special place. What the heck does that mean?

@Tricolor  ... I couldn't agree more!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JojoinMO  ...  I agree with @Trix ....  I think you really have to test fragrances in person.  If you're in an area that has decent stores, it would be the place to start.  If not, you'll have to hope that the online process works!  Good luck!!

Oh... and welcome to the boards!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My recommendation is not buying a fragrance online or from TV at all, if you can avoid it. I have a lot of allergies and sensitivities and fragrance is a big trigger. I need to smell it in person and, if I have no reaction, wear it for a while to make sure. Some things trigger a reaction immediately and others trigger one about 10 minutes into my exposure.

But I know that a lot of fragrances are only available online in some areas. If that's the case and you cannot find a place to test in person, I recommend buying samples before investing in a bottle. For smaller brands, you can often do this by going to the company's website and ordering a sample. I've done that with brands like Sarah Horowitz, Phlur, and Pinrose. For larger brands, you can find sites that specialize in sending out samples of high-end perfumes, like Lucky Scent, and trying out fragrances that way.

You can also visit the Nordstrom site and find a fragrance you like and find the store closest to you that carries or largest store that carries it, even if it's nowhere near you. (Their site shows inventory by location.) Contact that store and ask for the fragrance counter and ask the sales associate if she or he would be able to send you a sample of a perfume you're interested in. They will usually do this for free. You can ask the sales associate for her information and ask her if it would help her if you called her when you're ready to place an order online if you like the sample. Nordstrom sales associates work on commission, so if you call her and have her place the order online for you, she will get the credit for the completed sale. If you place the order online yourself, she will not get the credit. Something to consider.

If you find a fragrance you really like, then you can buy new bottles online or from TV without concern.

Valued Contributor

hI jojoinMO 

I love fragrance . Does it have to be QVC? My favoirte way to test fragrance is by samples . There are sites like Luckyscents , where you can purchase samples for $3-4 . You can search scents by notes you like or differnt types like floral, oriental etc. I use only cruelty free brands now and PInrose and Sweet Anthems and Inkling  also sell sample scents very reasonable too . My new fav is Pinrose Tambourine Dreamer - a mix of Lily of the Valley, Orange Blossom , Peony and Ylang Ylang . Good luck in your search . A new scent can really lift your spirits !!.

Honored Contributor

I love Eliz Arden Green Tea in the warmer months, very refreshing and citrusy. HSN has some good deals on it.

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@JojoinMO  ...  I agree with @Trix ....  I think you really have to test fragrances in person.  If you're in an area that has decent stores, it would be the place to start.  If not, you'll have to hope that the online process works!  Good luck!!

Oh... and welcome to the boards!

Hello, I agree when I see a presentation on one of the channels I always go to sephora to see if they have it.  I did just order  a fragrance from evine by Michel Germaine.  It is called From Paris With Love.  The different notes seem like something I would like but I will not know until I actually put it on.  I could not find it where I live.  I will post my review.  Have a nice day everybody.Smiley Happy