Respected Contributor

Re: Hard Water & Hair-Did you know?!

Have hard water all of my life. I don't doubt what you are saying. I do know that when I visit an area with soft water that I hate how my hair behaves. For one thing it seems to take forever to rinse the shampoo out of my hair. I guess I am used to my hard water. Been blessed with a very thick head of hair which I color so I don't see the grays.Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

We have very hard water but thankfully have a water softener. You can certainly tell when we need to add more salt. 

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@CherryHugs wrote:

We had soft water for years where we lived and since moving almost a year ago, have had hard water.

I had no idea the bad things it does to your hair.  I have noticed how it has gotten stringy, dull, more gray and some loss.

I decided to look this up online and found out that hard water absolutely DOES cause all that!

I started using the filtered water from our filter and what a big difference. I am hoping the loss and the gray STOPS now too  Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Have any of you had these issues having had to use hard water?

Yup..........I live in Phoenix.   The water here is rated "extremely" hard.

@Desertdi  Yep, I am here too!.. like I said above, even the shower water filter can only do "so much"...

Honored Contributor

@quadmimi wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@CherryHugs wrote:

We had soft water for years where we lived and since moving almost a year ago, have had hard water.

I had no idea the bad things it does to your hair.  I have noticed how it has gotten stringy, dull, more gray and some loss.

I decided to look this up online and found out that hard water absolutely DOES cause all that!

I started using the filtered water from our filter and what a big difference. I am hoping the loss and the gray STOPS now too  Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

@Desertdi  Yep, I am here too!.. like I said above, even the shower water filter can only do "so much"...

@quadmimi     Some of my neighbors have "whole house" softeners installed in the garage...........but I decided the price....AND maintenance....wasn't worth it for me.    Heck.....I even drink the tap water.  It's no worse than L.A. (!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

I don't understand how water can cause your hair to turn gray unless it's washing the color out faster.  When I'm somewhere with soft water, it seems like I can't ever get the shampoo washed out!

Honored Contributor

We rent an apartment so we cant get a water softener.  Smiley Sad

I use a PUR water filter pitcher and using that water on my hair

and what a huge difference!!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I use water filters in the shower and bath and at my sinks... that helps I believe to keep the water chorine free and softens the harder water. You can get water filters that hook up to your home water where it enters the house that will make  all the water in your home filtered if you want.

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@quadmimi wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@CherryHugs wrote:

@quadmimi     Some of my neighbors have "whole house" softeners installed in the garage...........but I decided the price....AND maintenance....wasn't worth it for me.    Heck.....I even drink the tap water.  It's no worse than L.A. (!!)

The benefit of having a whole-house water softener (besides obviously giving you softer water) is that it saves on having to replace major appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, water heaters, etc. Hard water builds up mineral deposits on the heating elements which drastically shortens their lifespans. Also, you never have to de-mineralize coffee makers, shower heads and faucets. To me, a water softener is worth the investment. 

Respected Contributor

I have well water here, that's very high in iron.  But we've installed a high powered softener that really helps a lot.   That said, I can't bring myself to drink it, and I fill gallon containers from Publix super market for washing my hair.  I'm a near platinum blonde, and have experienced orange streaks through my hair, which took a special salon treatment to remove.  I'm told, as hair becomes porous, after many washing, the minerals can deposit stains in my hair.  No clarifying shampoo, or even bleach would get it out.  So, no well water for my hair, even with my high end softener.   When I have used it, I've never experienced excess hair loss, or graying.  Well water varies greatly depending on your location.