Honored Contributor

Re: Hard Water Hair!

[ Edited ]

We have hard artesian well water. I've lived many years without a water softener and now many years with a water softener. I notice no difference in my hair. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I use Malibu Hard Water Wellness shampoo once a month before I color.  

Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

Having hard water and no way to put a filter on, I looked online about hard water hair damage etc.Woman Frustrated

I read that after washing your hair, pour a can or half a can of Club Soda over your hair, let it fizz, then rinse and condition.Woman Very Happy

I did this yesterday and my hair looks really good. This soda takes off the buildup or minerals etc from the hard water.

You can also use it after being in chlorine too.

Plus I learned there are shampoos to use when you have hard water, that was news to me! Woman Happy Might give one a try too!

We had hard water where we used to live.  A water softener was a must have.  Everybody had one.  We had Culligan (not a filter).  

Respected Contributor

I didn’t know there was an issue with hard water and hair. I’m going to pretend I never read this thread 😄

Valued Contributor

There are time when I use apple cider vinegar with the mother in it. I water down the apple cider vinegar with a bottled water and have about 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar to 3/4 cup water. It has made my hair softer and helps with the sheen and other issues that might pop up. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hard Water Hair!

[ Edited ]

@tucsongal wrote:

I didn’t know there was an issue with hard water and hair. I’m going to pretend I never read this thread 😄

Wow, me too @tucsongal .  I've lived most of my life with hard water, and my problem has always been that my baby fine hair is too soft.  So if I'm reading this right, it would be even softer if I had soft water? Ye gads!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Minerals are attracted to hair like a magnet. What happens after that is your products, such as conditioners and treatment products (including some coloring) won't penetrate the hair shaft b/c the mineral build-up prevents products from going to where they need to go. Dry, brittle hair can be the result of using hard water.

Contributor

Try using Living Proof's triple detox shampoo.  I have hard water too and I use it once a week and it really helps.

Honored Contributor

Did it make it feel better as well?  We  have water that is almost too soft (used to be even softer).  Just curious.

Honored Contributor

@tucsongal 

OMGoodness yes!  We've lived in the same location for 40 years.  Our water here has always been uber soft.  Can hardly wash all the soap off when bathing.  I hate bathing when we go anywhere overnight.  My skin feels dry and tight.  I don't feel clean.  You can see tiny bits of soap scum floating around on the top of the water.