Honored Contributor

I would really like a filter since it doesn't appear hubby is interested in getting a whole house filter.  Can someone recommed a brand item number they like.  I have some very specific requirements.

1.  Removes Chlorine, metals, and minerals

2..  Has a good flow rate.  I hate having to wait forever to get my hair fully wet.  We actually reamed out the flow control on our shower head.

3.  Doesn't obviously look like an ugly shower filter.

4.  Preferably available in either brushed nickel or gold which is what my bathroom  fixtures are and cannot be changed without re-doing my entire bathroom because of the size of mthe bathtub faucet.  They don't seem to make them big like that anymore and anything smaller won't reach the tub.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Cant imagine what hard water does to hair and skin, knowing what it does to stainless sink! Yikes.Woman Sad

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

Cant imagine what hard water does to hair and skin, knowing what it does to stainless sink! Yikes.Woman Sad

@CherryHugs 

I've lived in Albuquerque since 1995.

It's not pretty.

You should see what it does to appliances.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I would really like a filter since it doesn't appear hubby is interested in getting a whole house filter.  Can someone recommed a brand item number they like.  I have some very specific requirements.

2..  Has a good flow rate.  I hate having to wait forever to get my hair fully wet.  We actually reamed out the flow control on our shower head.

4.  Preferably available in either brushed nickel or gold which is what my bathroom  fixtures are and cannot be changed without re-doing my entire bathroom because of the size of mthe bathtub faucet.  They don't seem to make them big like that anymore and anything smaller won't reach the tub.

Thanks.

@Icegoddess: Years ago a poster on here recommended a Sprite filter for the shower for hard water.  I have used one ever since. I love it. In fact I was at Lowe's today to buy a fridge filter and picked up a Sprite filter refill. I don't know how to add attachments on here but if you google "sprite shower filter" you will find it. You can either purchase a shower head with the filter attached or you can buy the attachment that is compatable with your shower head. I have the latter and buy the refills either at Lowe's or Amazon. Hope this helps. 

Honored Contributor

@soxfan wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Thanks.

@Icegoddess: Years ago a poster on here recommended a Sprite filter for the shower for hard water.  I have used one ever since. I love it. In fact I was at Lowe's today to buy a fridge filter and picked up a Sprite filter refill. I don't know how to add attachments on here but if you google "sprite shower filter" you will find it. You can either purchase a shower head with the filter attached or you can buy the attachment that is compatable with your shower head. I have the latter and buy the refills either at Lowe's or Amazon. Hope this helps. 

@soxfan yes, I have heard of the Sprite before, whether it was here or elsewhere I'm not sure.

Trusted Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@tucsongal wrote:

I didn’t know there was an issue with hard water and hair. I’m going to pretend I never read this thread 😄

Wow, me too @tucsongal .  I've lived most of my life with hard water, and my problem has always been that my baby fine hair is too soft.  So if I'm reading this right, it would be even softer if I had soft water? Ye gads!

I personally found that to be a problem for me when either at my Dad's or his Mom's house.

They both had soft water and when we stayed over, my hair felt almost too soft and flat after I washed it.

I have very fine hair.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@CherryHugs wrote:

@CherryHugs 

I've lived in Albuquerque since 1995.

It's not pretty.

You should see what it does to appliances.

@just bee the appliances, ain't that the truth!  Also, I actually use Zero Water not for my drinking water, but for my cats' drinking water.  I got so tired of the build-up on the bowls, even ceramic ones.  Plus, I have a fountain, and would get awful buildup on the pump even though I took it apart and cleaned it regularly.  

A couple of years ago we had to get a new water heater and the main culprit was all the build-up inside.  Same thing for my little instant hot water under the kitchen sink.