Honored Contributor

Having hard water and no way to put a filter on, I looked online about hard water hair damage etc.Woman Frustrated

I read that after washing your hair, pour a can or half a can of Club Soda over your hair, let it fizz, then rinse and condition.Woman Very Happy

I did this yesterday and my hair looks really good. This soda takes off the buildup or minerals etc from the hard water.

You can also use it after being in chlorine too.

Plus I learned there are shampoos to use when you have hard water, that was news to me! Woman Happy Might give one a try too!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

Having hard water and no way to put a filter on, I looked online about hard water hair damage etc.Woman Frustrated

I read that after washing your hair, pour a can or half a can of Club Soda over your hair, let it fizz, then rinse and condition.Woman Very Happy

I did this yesterday and my hair looks really good. This soda takes off the buildup or minerals etc from the hard water.

You can also use it after being in chlorine too.

Plus I learned there are shampoos to use when you have hard water, that was news to me! Woman Happy Might give one a try too!

Get yourself a gauge for checking the pH of the water, and buy some vinegar, add enough to a gallon of water to bring the pH to the level you want it and then rinse your hair with it.  You have soft water rinse without all the expense.

Respected Contributor

I wonder if the screw-on showerhead filters would help. The manufacturers can tell you specifically what their filters will take out and what they won't. It's a problem for washing your body as well as your hair.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Hard Water Hair!

[ Edited ]

Cant fit any type of filter on, i have tried  Smiley Sad

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I use an in line water softener that attaches to the water pipe in front of my shower head and change the inside filter every few months (3 I think).

It's not expensive and neither are the replacement filters, bought at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I wonder if the screw-on showerhead filters would help. The manufacturers can tell you specifically what their filters will take out and what they won't. It's a problem for washing your body as well as your hair.

@PickyPicky3 

So true! My skin and hair are so much softer using these filters.

It's easy to tell when you need to change the filter, the water just 'feels' harder and skin/hair feels dryer.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

You might have to buy an adapter. Honestly, I have had faucets that were impossible, but NEVER a shower head installation that couldn't be done. Hard water is tough on our bodies, our clothes and all washing. Have you considered a whole house remedy? Expensive but they work.

Honored Contributor

I use ACV once in a while to rinse my hair...it clarifies it.

Honored Contributor

This apt doesnt have soft water and there is no way I could afford one plus the salt.

There is a hand held shower here too, its great but cant put a filter on this.

I have the hair remedies now Smiley Happy but didnt even think of hard water skin!  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

Re: Hard Water Hair!

[ Edited ]

@CherryHugs   Oh boy! If I had to choose between a hand held shower or soft water, I'd be stuck! But I wouldn't give up until I called a plumbing supply house (not big box) and ask if they have some kind of filter that would work. I'm still optimistic.  Smiley Happy

The solution just popped into my head. There are shower diverters ($20) where one output goes straight ahead and one goes to the side. Remove the handheld unit. Attach the diverter. Attach a filter showerhead to the output that goes straight ahead. Put the handheld unit on the output that goes to the side. Done!

Now take out a glass, add ice cubes, scotch and some of your club soda. Sit on the couch and enjoy.