Super Contributor

Re: Happy July, Scents and Common Sense Thread

On 7/6/2014 pepes mom said:

Hi gang! The local rabies clinic was a huge success. We vaccinated 212 animals. They want me to do the advertising for the next 3 clinics. I don't know my way around for 2 of the 3, but I'm always willing to try. The vet even said he's never vaccinated so many animals in 1 day. I'm a happy camper.

Desi: I'm happy that your DH is recovering. Both of you must have been frustrated with him being ill.

Doglover: My suggestion about the how many carbs your DH needs would be to ask your doctor. If he isn't sure, ask for a consult with a Diabetic Nurse Educator or dietitian. One of them should be able to come up with a plan- how many calories and how many carbs he should be eating on a daily basis. Regarding the little book, try looking in a regular bookstore. I know on some of the bigger restaurants, like Dennys, they do have some of the carb info on the menus.

Irish: I've had the regular lotion from PSS and it works well for me in the summer. I've also had something in a pot from Bathed and Infused and it worked well in the winter.

Pepe and Bella survived the holiday festivities. I'm sure there will still be some stray fireworks going off for the next few weeks.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} Pepes mom, that certainly makes sense about how different formulations respond differently - when our skin is drier in winter the shea would help more and when there's more humidity in summer, affecting absorption, a lighter lotion would be better. Thank you! It's the first time anyone has mentioned experience with BathedandInfused.

Respected Contributor

Doglover, I used to have one of those pocket carb counters too. I am afraid since stuff like that is available on-line, there are fewer things like printed pamphlets still available. Magazines and rag newspapers is about it at the check-out. I think Pepe's mom is right, maybe bookstores would be a good bet.

Hard to believe they released your DH without paperwork telling him what to eat along with the shot info. He may have slipped through the cracks, or they are really not very good! ITA Pepe's mom, a diabetic educator or diabetic nurse visit really does seem warranted since you are left not knowing what he should eat.

Pepe's mom, great job! I think if you wanted to, they might hire you to do PR for the shelters. That is fantastic that they vaccinated so many animals.

Thanks, DH is adding back foods, so will see how it goes but I think he is doing well all things considered.

Irishrose, not sure who else is left that can shed some light. I'm glad you are getting some good info. on the different lotions.

Respected Contributor

Desi and pepesmom, our family doctors wife is a dietitian/nutritionist and is where I get my info from but we didn't see him yet, not till 8/4. Between our family doctor, his wife and his sister who is a derm doctor I get a lot of good info.

Desi, I use to see those little pocket type books in the check out aisle(not at the ends where magazines are) and had counting carbs, counting calories etc and the books would fit into a shirt pocket, would have been nice to be able to get one of those. Glad you DH is adding foods and getting better, every little bit helps. I am glad the Pepto helped.

pepesmom, bet the vet was amazed and am sure they want you for other clinics now, great, bet you will enjoy that and who know, may lead to even more stuff working with animals, sounds great.

Irishrose, I did forget to tell you what is my absolute favorite for moisturizing, Perlier 25% shea butter(100% pure organic shea butter) and comes in an 6.7 ounce jar and in scents. Right now I have the citrus but next going to try coconut(love coconut). This is super moisturizing but is thicker than lotions of course so is great for when your skin really needs that extra moisturizer. For lighter moisturizer I love the Dove Cream Oil, comes in a large pump plastic bottle, 13.5 ounces. Says Cream Oil Intensive body lotion ultimate moisture to dramatically improve skin tone and texture. I got the one that says EXTRA DRY SKIN, Advanced Formula. This doesn't take a lot and sinks in/dries quickly. I use both of these I mentioned all the time over anything else anymore.

they also have a Dove Supreme C ream Oil Body Wash but I haven't tried that yet, plan on it soon.

Respected Contributor

Doglover, I think technology really put an end to most portable booklets. There is likely an app that can be downloaded into phones and tablets that would be much more informative than a small booklet. Unfortunately, not all of us (me included) are that tech-savvy.

I think a month is too long - could the Doc's wife see you for a consult sooner?

Good to see some drugstore lotions as well as shopping channels offer good lotions.

Respected Contributor

Doglover, just tried an experiment. I don't know how to do squat on my I-Phone. However, I just tried asking Siri how many carbohydrates in one cup of pasta. Guess what, instant answer, 48 grams. So, that explains a lot as far as dragging a booklet with you. So many people have new phones with instant up-to-date info. right at their finger-tips (everyone has a cell phone).

Respected Contributor

Desi, on the diabetic website you sent it says 15 grams in 1/3 cup pasta or rice. It gave everything that has 15 grams in so you are better able to judge. It also gave what veggies have none and are unlimited. I coptied everything down since for some reason it wouldn't let me copy and paste, wonder why?

I am going to call the doctor since in the hospital they also didn't tell or show him how to use the testing meter and strips and wonder why he should do that in the first place since there is nothing he can do anyway? He is to only take this new insulin before going to bed than 5 to 15 minutes later eat a very light snack than go to bed. He takes no other insulin but was prescribed 1 mg glimipiride twice a day at the hospital although the family doctor had him on 2 mg once in the morning which he said to continue and forget about the 1 mg twice a day since he already has a 4 month supply of the 2 mg. Both family doctor and pharmacist said he can take the 2 mg once a day and forget about the 1 mg twice a day.

The info I copied I have on paper but copied it so it is folded already so I don't have a huge page to drag out, put everything on 2 sheets of printer paper folded in half and fits in my bag okay.

yes, I really like both the Perlier 25 % shea, all natural organic shea and comes in scents. It is a nice jar, 6.7 ounces and it doesn't take much. I also really like the Dove Cream Oil, comes in a large pump plastic bottle, 13.5 ounces. Says Cream Oil Intensive body lotion ultimate moisture to dramatically improve skin tone and texture. I got the one that says EXTRA DRY SKIN, Advanced Formula. I like both of these equally since both are so different. I like both of these better than anything else I have tried as far as moisturizing goes.

going to check out that stash tea too next time I get to the grocery store or Walmart, thanks, he really likes ice tea.

Respected Contributor

Doglover, glad the guidelines were good enough so that you can help DH with what to eat.

I knew you could help with Irishrose's lotion questions cause I sure can't.

Respected Contributor

Doglover, got a pack of the Stash Green tea powders. Well.... if you love unsweetened green tea, they are fine. It isn't sweet at all and tastes like green tea - that musky earthy taste. I tried adding a packet of sweet n Lo which helped, but still not great. If DH only likes sweet beverages he probably won't like it. Mine hates anything green tea, but likes unsweetened black tea.

Respected Contributor

Desi, I like my tea unsweetened, not or cold but not DH, has to be sweetened for him, hot and cold tea I am very surprised at how good he is doing. When out he orders chicken salad which is a grilled chicken breast on a bed of greens, mostly spinach, has grape tomatoes, hard boiled egg, onions, green peppers, black olives and slivered almonds, some put bacon it theirs. I take my own dressing for him. Today he had a broiled pork chop though with red beets and a toss salad. One day he had broiled salmon, green beans and a toss salad so is doing pretty good. He does eat the grilled chicken salad at night when we go out and says he likes salad as long as it has meat/chicken in it. Some have salads with a broiled crab patty or salmon or flat iron steak, chicken salad, tuna salad or egg salad and some put craisins in and apples and walnuts so, he does have choices with salads. He has been so far drinking only water but flavored with either Mio or Lipton tea with splenda.

I think if not mistaken I had an extra shot added to some lotion from PSS but forgot which, not all can get this added, does change the texture of most she said. It was so long ago I really forget? Since using ET WD I just love this so much I haven't been using much else. I do like the Narcisco Rodriquez though from Bathed & Infused.

Hope your DH is continuing to improve.

Respected Contributor

Doglover, sounds like your DH is really doing great! I'm glad he is making better food choices. Mine started eating better when he A1C was a little high, scared him pretty good. He had always thought eating balanced was the way to go, but was eating way too much sugar (unbeknownst to me). His latest A1C was perfect. He is doing fine, think the stomach thing is over. Sure hope so.

You might like the Stash but doubt your DH will, but maybe worth trying.

It's been so long, I can't remember what lotions could or couldn't have added scent either.