Frequent Contributor

Re: Hand Sanitizer here at QVC....

To make your own hand sanitizer that is gentle on hands, you can use 1 part pure aloe vera gel and 3 parts 91% or higher isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.
Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart    Although bleach is a good disinfectant, it's very unstable and soon loses its disinfectant qualities.  That's why swimming pool owners have to constantly add chlorine to the water.  I wouldn't trust this solution more than a couple of days.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I've never tried the "artnaturals" brand of hand sanitizer yet, but someone previously posted good reviews about it on here and I made a note to myself.

Since we're not allowed to post a retail link you'll have to Google artnaturals and click on hand sanitizer at their website. It shows they are shipping on 4/8 (good reviews there too) Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

It's easy to make your own hand sanitizer.

5 cups water

1 to 1.5 capfuls of bleach.

Put in a spray bottle or jar or whatever.

Yes, bleach is tough on hands.  But this is not all about me.  It's about protecting myself from passing the virus on to anyone I run into when I walk or have groceries delivered or spray a package before I open it.  Use lotion on your hands.

@CalminHeart 

DH came home with 4 gallons of bleach so we won't run out. I have several spray bottles filled up using all over the house. DH took a spray bottle to work. He cleaned his whole office. I told him to keep his door closed. He still has to go to work.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

It's easy to make your own hand sanitizer.

5 cups water

1 to 1.5 capfuls of bleach.

Put in a spray bottle or jar or whatever.

Yes, bleach is tough on hands.  But this is not all about me.  It's about protecting myself from passing the virus on to anyone I run into when I walk or have groceries delivered or spray a package before I open it.  Use lotion on your hands.

@CalminHeart 

DH came home with 4 gallons of bleach so we won't run out. I have several spray bottles filled up using all over the house. DH took a spray bottle to work. He cleaned his whole office. I told him to keep his door closed. He still has to go to work.

Just FYI, bleach alone is not a cleaning agent. It is for sanitizing/disinfecting. Surfaces should be cleaned with soap and water, rinsed, and then the solution of bleach can be applied to sanitize the surface.

Regarding the longevity of diluted bleach, a Wellesley document included this:

"According to Clorox, undiluted household bleach has a shelf life of six months to one year from the date of manufacture, after which bleach degrades at a rate of 20% each year until totally degraded to salt and water, and a 1:10 bleach solution has a shelf life of 24 hours."

Sounds as if you have fresh bleach, but the diluted solutions will lose effectiveness. I like Clorox Clean-Up. It cleans and disinfects, all in one, and the bleach remains stable.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@CalminHeart    Although bleach is a good disinfectant, it's very unstable and soon loses its disinfectant qualities.  That's why swimming pool owners have to constantly add chlorine to the water.  I wouldn't trust this solution more than a couple of days.

I don't make huge batches.  Bleach has been used this way for a long time.  I remember my gramma using it as far back as the late 1960 and she said her mom did it too.