Respected Contributor

Hand Sanitizer here at QVC....

V37189 Rejuvenate Set of (4) 8-oz Hand Sanitizer Sprays Limit 2 $22.00 s/h $3.50
Honored Contributor

Re: Hand Sanitizer here at QVC....

There's no alcohol in it?  I thought someone posted about the ingredients in this product?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

There's no alcohol in it?  I thought someone posted about the ingredients in this product?

@NightowlzLook at the back of the bottle in photo - benzalkonium chloride - antimicrobial. Antimicrobial products kill or slow the spread of microorganisms. Microorganisms include bacteria, viruses, protozoans.
Super Contributor

@Naturesbeauty Thank you so much!!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Be very careful using benzalkonium chloride as the active ingredient in hand sanitizers.  The cdc does NOT have a recommended alternative to hand rub products other than 60% ethanol or 70% isopropanol as active ingredients  The evidence indicates benzalkonium chloride has less reliable activity against coronavirus than either of the alcohols.

Honored Contributor

@raveelisa wrote:

Be very careful using benzalkonium chloride as the active ingredient in hand sanitizers.  The cdc does NOT have a recommended alternative to hand rub products other than 60% ethanol or 70% isopropanol as active ingredients  The evidence indicates benzalkonium chloride has less reliable activity against coronavirus than either of the alcohols.

@raveelisa , is right. Check out the CDC website. 

Honored Contributor

It's easy to make your own hand sanitizer.

5 cups water

1 to 1.5 capfuls of bleach.

Put in a spray bottle or jar or whatever.

Yes, bleach is tough on hands.  But this is not all about me.  It's about protecting myself from passing the virus on to anyone I run into when I walk or have groceries delivered or spray a package before I open it.  Use lotion on your hands.

Respected Contributor

From the CDC website:

Are benzalkonium chloride-containing hand rub products an acceptable alternative to ABHR for COVID-19?

CDC does not have a recommended alternative to hand rub products with greater than 60% ethanol or 70% isopropanol as active ingredients. Benzalkonium chloride, along with both ethanol and isopropanol, is deemed eligible by FDAexternal icon for use in the formulation of healthcare personnel hand rubs.  However, available evidence indicates benzalkonium chloride has less reliable activity against coronavirus than either of the alcohols.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/infection-control/hcp-hand-hygiene-faq.html

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

It's easy to make your own hand sanitizer.

5 cups water

1 to 1.5 capfuls of bleach.

Put in a spray bottle or jar or whatever.

Yes, bleach is tough on hands.  But this is not all about me.  It's about protecting myself from passing the virus on to anyone I run into when I walk or have groceries delivered or spray a package before I open it.  Use lotion on your hands.

The CDC's recommendation for  disinfection is a solution of 5 tablespoons (1/3 cup) bleach per gallon or 4 teaspoons per quart. I doubt that "1 to 1.5 capfuls of bleach" in 1.25 quarts of water meets that standard, which would be 5 teaspoons of bleach for 5 cups of water. You also don't mention dwell time. For disinfection of surfaces, the CDC recommends a dwell time of at least a minute, and that means keeping it wet for that long.

But the biggest problem with your advice is that it's very bad for your skin. Using it on your hands will lead to breaks in the skin. Since the hands appear to be considered the transfer point for germs (hence the "don't touch your face" advice), compromising the integrity of the skin of your hands seems very unwise.

There is no reason, unless running water and soap are not available, to avoid actually washing your hands. The friction and the soap get rid of most of the problems, hence the advice to wash your hands frequently. Or wear gloves. But don't bleach your hands.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/disinfecting-your-home.html

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Viruses are NOT microorganisms! Viruses are not technically (or scientifically) alive. (I am a vet.)

ETA -- This product listed here is NOT effective against viruses. 

@Naturesbeauty @Msfitness @Nightowlz