Respected Contributor

appm wrote:

I just looked up the ingredients.  So, is it worth it?  I certainly don't think so - but what do I know.  I'm not too good with ingredient lists. 

Water/Aqua/Eau, Kojic Dipalmitate, Helianthus Annuss (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Azelaic Acid, Butylene Glycol, Arbutin, Polyglyceryl-3 Diiostearate, Glycerin, Polysilicone-11, Cetyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylresorcinol, Dipotassium Glycrrhizate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Propanediol, Retinol, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Extract, TocopheryDipotassium Glycrrhizatel Acetate, Lecithin, Sodium Acrylates Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Xanthan Gum, Stearic Acid, Hydrolyzed Caesalpinia Spinosa Gum, Caesalpinia Spinosa Gum, PEG-100 Stearate, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance, (Parfum), Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Cinnamal, Eugenol, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Limonene, Ethylhexylglcerin, Laureth-12, BHT, BHA, Potassium Sorbate.

@appm. Thanks for posting the ingredients.  $135 for 2 ounces?  Well, it is definitely going to lighten with Kojic Dipalmitate that high in the deck.  Azelaic Acid In this has to be 10% or less otherwise it would be considered a prescription dose and could not be OTC.  My understanding is that is more of an anti inflammatory and anti redness ingredient.  The arbutin, though, is another effective lightener or rather prevents melanin production.  Hexylresorcinol is a recent addition to skin lightening but it's listed after the preservative, Phenoxyethanol, which is usually used at .5 to .8%.  That would mean anything after Phenoxyethanol is added at under 1%.  

The lighteners and anti redness ingredients they use are good ones, effective, and not especially inexpensive.  But, they aren't crazy pricey either.  Sunflower seed oil, dimethicone, glycerel stearate, and cetyl alcohol are the main emollients.  Good but really inexpensive.  Glycerin is the effective humectant and, well, I think I have 5 pounds of it so it's way cheap.  Surprisingly, cucumber extract is expensive but it's used under 1%.  

This will most definitely lighten any spots but you could easily find something as or close to as effective for a whole lot less $$$.  Other than the lighteners this is no great shakes, IMO.  Sadly, if the user does not also apply a minimum of SPF 30 as well it's as good as Suave. 

Honored Contributor

I'll pass.  Drugstore brands are good enough for me.  Even if money were no object I don't think I would spend that much.

Super Contributor

Bella Carro:  Thanks for the explanation of the ingredients.  You ladies amaze me with your knowledge of these complicated words.  As to buying the hand cream - no way, no how would I spend that much on a hand cream no matter what it promised to do.  I spend too much on my face and neck - my hands can get by on cheap hand cream.

Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@depglass wrote:

The one percent is not going to stay in the one percent if they consider blowing money on stuff like this.  Their families will be spending that money on psychiatric care for them.

A $135 hand cream nothing to someone in the 1%. Sheldon Adelson spent $15 million backing a failed presidential candidate everyone but Adelson knew would lose. If your family doesn't lock you up for that, they aren't going to blink at spending $135 on a hand cream.

You crack me up. Unless I have a lone lost billionaire relative out there I know nothing about, I'll never know what it's like to be one of those who can try to spend all of their money and not succeed, no matter how much they spend.  *sigh*

Respected Contributor

@appm wrote:

Bella Carro:  Thanks for the explanation of the ingredients.  You ladies amaze me with your knowledge of these complicated words.  As to buying the hand cream - no way, no how would I spend that much on a hand cream no matter what it promised to do.  I spend too much on my face and neck - my hands can get by on cheap hand cream.

@appm just apply to tops of hands what you already use for your face.  Don't forget SPF.  

I suspect the company that manufactures Jan Marini did spend some $$ on coming up with this formula.  They are in business to make money so can't fault them for that.  By far, this is not the craziest thing I've seen for the price.

This is a perfect example of  branding.  I will pay $ for a good formula and I respect a certain amount of branding and good packaging.  That being said, I won't pay $$ strictly for branding.  Some people will.  I, personally, don't understand that.  It's like having two handbags exactly the same, maybe even made in same factory or by same craftsmen, but one has LV plastered all over it.  Come to think of it, it's not the same.  Nobody carries their hand cream on a strap over their shoulder!

Esteemed Contributor

depglass wrote:

The one percent is not going to stay in the one percent if they consider blowing money on stuff like this.  Their families will be spending that money on psychiatric care for them.

A lot of those in the one percent might spend $100,000 on a sofa, but buy handcream at the drugstore, which is part of the reason they keep their one percent money.  Status seeking celebrities and wannabes (people with expendable funds who tend to be foolish with their money) will not think twice about it, and they can let the rest of us know how wonderful the $135 handcream is.Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@depglass wrote:

A lot of those in the one percent might spend $100,000 on a sofa, but buy handcream at the drugstore, which is part of the reason they keep their one percent money.  Status seeking celebrities and wannabes (people with expendable funds who tend to be foolish with their money) will not think twice about it, and they can let the rest of us know how wonderful the $135 handcream is.Woman Wink

That and favoritism when it comes to taxes...oops, did I say that?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Hello, appm. Smiley Happy

That's...........................a lot of money for hand cream. Smiley Tongue

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

@appm

In a word "ridiculous"!   I would never and could never - spend that much on hand cream.  I wouldn't care if it would have gold in it.  

For that much money, I could buy a new outfit and still have money left over for a tube of hand cream!  LOL!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I'll take one vanilla, one peach, and one coconut creme.......on the 24-month payment plan.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥