Honored Contributor

Re: Hairstylist recommended a demi keratin treatment

@PilatesLover There is a delightful youtuber named Justin Hickox that is a salon owner.

He teaches you how to take care of your own hair as well as maintain your bangs between visits to the salon.

He recommends good products that aren't SO expensive.

I believe frizzy hair has been addressed.

Honored Contributor

A demi keratin treatment only takes thirty minutes to do and costs about $50. It's a deep conditioning treatment for overprocessed or very dry hair.I

I haven't had this one but I've had the traditional treatment where you can't wash your hair for three days and I liked it.  I can't find a salon in my area that does the demi version but I'd be interested as well. 

Trusted Contributor

She told me it's not as intense as the traditional keratin treatment and it would fade out within four months, just in case I didn't care for it.

@haddon9 wrote:

@PilatesLover What is the difference between a "demi Keratin treatment" and a regular keratin treatment?

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover @GenXmuse @ECBG @MW in Iowa @haddon9 @

Is a demi keratin the same as a ketatin express treatment?  

I've had a few keratin treatments over the years and a brazillan straightening and my objection to them is that mostly they made my hair too flat (for too long) and too straight. (personally hated the brazillian, btw)   So, a couple of years ago I had the keratin express, which to me sounds like the demi you are describing and the express did nothing for my hair.  It was crazy!  My hair looked almost exactly the same after and it did before.  So disappointing.  Nice tho is the hairdresser had me come in and did a proper keratin for me.

I just recently had a new treatment - which maybe this is what the demi is - it's called Hair Botox!  I read about it in some beauty newsletters, was interested and found two places locally who actually do that treatment.  I had it done a few weeks ago and I love it!  It's exactly right for me.  I was a little worried when I left the salon because my hair was so flat and straight.  I washed it the very next day - as was instructed I could do and my hair was fluffier and shiny.  Now I still have my natural wave, if I want it, but my hair is not frizzy and it's smooth to the touch which is really nice.  I've even been able to let it air dry - it's been very humid here - and it looks fine.  From my personal experience I would recommend this treatment.  Oh, took about 1.5 hr. and cost about  $140.

Trusted Contributor

@PilatesLover  I had a demi keration treatment two summers ago. My hair is wavy, not curly.  I followed all the instructions, used the recommended sulfate-free shampoo and it lasted less than 2 months, maybe 6-7 weeks.  My stylist is a pro, she owns the salon. I was very disappointed.

I've heard the Dream Coat blow out product is excellent but I haven't tried it

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars 

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question.  I would ask a trusted hair dresser.

If you want a truthful blogger on hair, I highly suggest Justin Hickox who owns his own shop.  He trys to help people do their own hair and will answer your questions on his blog.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@decaf 

@PilatesLover 

I've tried the Dream Coat product and was not impressed.  It did virtually nothing and I followed the instructions given on their website.

It was no match for the summer humidity in Maryland.

I previously had my hair smoothed at the salon using a Pravana product.  It was great, and lasted about 3 months.

I've been letting it grow out for over a year and the frizz is relentless.  I use good products, deep conditioning treatments and....the first sign of humidity and I've got a head full of cotton candy.

I hate having it smoothed again as I've gone this long and my hair is color treated, fine and aging.  I want to keep what hair I have, although, I don't think this caused damage (the Pravana smoothing).

I've resolved just to live with it as is...for now.

Trusted Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

I've had a few keratin treatments over the years and a brazillan straightening and my objection to them is that mostly they made my hair too flat (for too long) and too straight. (personally hated the brazillian, btw)   So, a couple of years ago I had the keratin express, which to me sounds like the demi you are describing and the express did nothing for my hair.  It was crazy!  My hair looked almost exactly the same after and it did before.  So disappointing.  Nice tho is the hairdresser had me come in and did a proper keratin for me.

I just recently had a new treatment - which maybe this is what the demi is - it's called Hair Botox!  I read about it in some beauty newsletters, was interested and found two places locally who actually do that treatment.  I had it done a few weeks ago and I love it!  It's exactly right for me.  I was a little worried when I left the salon because my hair was so flat and straight.  I washed it the very next day - as was instructed I could do and my hair was fluffier and shiny.  Now I still have my natural wave, if I want it, but my hair is not frizzy and it's smooth to the touch which is really nice.  I've even been able to let it air dry - it's been very humid here - and it looks fine.  From my personal experience I would recommend this treatment.  Oh, took about 1.5 hr. and cost about  $140.

WOWZERS!!!  This sounds perfect!  Thank you so much, I'll look into it.

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

@moonandthestars I had the same issue when I had a regular or Brazillian keraten.  My hair which is naturally straight (I got it to help keep the frizzies smoothed) got so ridiculously straight and flat!...it would stay that way for almost a month.  I couldn't stand it until it started to wear off somewhat then my hair looked great & behaved.

My hair is straight but thick & fine...so it tends to naturally go flat on top.  Since the texture is fine it can be flyaway when it's humid and totally loses its shape after a short while on bad weather days.

I tried another type of keratin called "Magic Sleek" last year.  It was supposed to not be as strong but for me my hair ended up just as flat with no body for a month.  

I plan on going to a new stylist in a few weeks for a trim and plan on talking to him about keratins to see what his opinion is.

Thanks for your explanation & experience with it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It probably will be no help but I had a lot of poker straight hair.  I dried it, then set it on Velcro rollers. One winter we were away (cold weather destination) and I noticed every morning before we'd leave the hotel, I thought my hair looked great.  After being outside for an hour or so, it looked like a mop with ends sticking out all over the place.

When I returned home my hairdresser said she'd use a shot of keratin on it.  After it was colored, shampooed and rinsed, she applied it. (she warned me it stunk and to cover my eyes and nose with a towel) I sat for awhile before she cut and styled my hair.  The frizz was gone for the rest of the winter. I believe it cost me about $35.