Super Contributor

Hairpieces on Soap Operas worn by women actors

Hi ALL,

For those of you who watch soap operas (especially DAYS of our LIVES)...do you think any of the female actors wear hairpieces (not talking about cooky, eccentric characters...I mean those playing normal roles)?

I was watching DAYS with my mom and she thinks characters:  Lani; Maggie; Kate and Marlena all wear wigs. I thought I read an article online about Diedre Hall (Marlena) wearing a wig daily.

Made me wonder how many actors, singers & celebrities wear hairpieces...whereas, I just thought they had great hair.

I’m considering eating a hairpiece “topper” myself.

TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Hairpieces on Soap Operas worn by women actors

I have been watching Days for over 50 years, and I dont think any of these women you mentioned wear wigs. Maybe a few extensions, but not full wigs. 

Honored Contributor

I don't watch the "soaps" but I would think wearing a wig or hairpiece is easier than having the hair styled.  I sometimes wonder at the people on this forum and how much is spent on hair products and appliances.  Isn't it easier/cheaper to buy a good qualtiy wig or hairpiece?

As for people on TV wearing wigs, does Linda Davies (forget what she represents now, used to be Liz Clairborne) wear a wig?  Her hair always looks exactly the same--LOL!!

Respected Contributor

@MsCatLuverSure, some of those actresses wear wigs sometimes, just as some actors do.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I've been noticing for years alot of men and women wear wigs. News media, movies, talk shows. I could name names but I don't want to upset anyone. I figure it just makes it easier for them to just put it on that way they don't have to spend extra hours just to do their hair. Also I'm thinking maybe their real hair color is different so won't get as recognized in public.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A good quality lace-front full wig is almost impossible to detect. Most are very expensive and are made of real hair,  The hair line looks so real where individual hairs look like they are actually growing out of the forehead. The areas where the hair is parted even has fake scalp so that even makes it look real. These sort of details in quality wigs will run the cost up to thousands of dollars.

ETA - Usually a well designed wig or piece is one where you can't tell if someone is wearing it...just looks like they have their own hair. Then there's 'wiggy'...the other side of the spectrum.

Honored Contributor

Most women after menopause experience thinning hair. When I see 50-70 yr. old actresses, celebs, vendors, models, etc. I assume their luscious locks are not all their hair. 

Honored Contributor

This pic of Lani looks like a wig to me.  However, if it is, she apparently wears it all the time since I can't find many pictures that don't look like this.  There are a couple with her hair pulled back in lots of tiny braids.  I think if she let it be more curly it might not look like a wig.  I don't think Kate's is a wig, maybe some extensions.  I think John used to wear a hairpiece or dye his hair.  It was so different after he came back after  long absence, much shorter and grey.

Lani Price:Sal Stowers.jpg

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess That is a Great photo/example of my point.  I agree. I believe she is wearing a wig.  I think she looks great.

Super Contributor

@SilleeMee I’m sure that the Soaps can afford the highest quality wigs and do so. I was considering buying a very high quality head “topper” hairpiece.

I AM using, and will continue to use, the Hairmax comb you recommended.  But, regardless, I m realistic about the extent of progress achievable being that I have very fine hair.

I think a high quality, human hair, topper would be great.

Do you have any personal experience? Or opinion?