Respected Contributor

Re: Hairdryer Plug Dropped in Toilet

On 4/5/2015 shaggygirl said:

Thanks All. I have it in uncooked rice now and will wait a couple of days and try it again. If it buzzes again when I try it out it goes. Hate to get rid of it because it has so many blower speed and heat option combos but maybe I can find the same one or similar again.

If you can't find the same one at a store I imagine that you could order one from the manufacturer. You should contact their customer service and explain to them what happened. I would imagine that they would be able to send you a new one. It may cost you a few dollars or maybe they would also send you one for free.

Esteemed Contributor

The weird thing is that it made the bzzzzzz sound as I was putting the plug into the outlet, didn't even get to try turning it on which leads me to wonder now if maybe it was the outlet that was buzzing in response to sensing an issue inside the wet plug. I have no clue if that even makes sense. It happened so fast I quickly pulled it out. Again, thanks all for your suggestions, I appreciate it.

Super Contributor

The weird thing is that it made the bzzzzzz sound as I was putting the plug into the outlet, didn't even get to try turning it on. Again, thanks all for your suggestions, I appreciate it.

For what it's worth, we have an electrician in the family, and he said to throw it out. You never want to risk getting 'zapped' or even causing wire damage behind the wall plate.

Esteemed Contributor

Amazinggrace2, I edited my post a bit just before you posted saying maybe it was the outlet buzzing not the dryer. In any case, after reading your post that's it, it's getting tossed!! It is after all only a hair dryer, easily replaced, no sense taking a risk.

Super Contributor

I would throw it out! Never never never mix water and electricity...even a drop. I had a washing machine and just stuck my fingers in the tub of water as it filled to help dissolve the soap powder. My hand got zapped, turned out there was a short in the control panel. If I had touched the metal tub I would have been permanently fried.

Esteemed Contributor

Amazinggrace2, I edited my post a bit just before you posted saying maybe it was the outlet buzzing not the dryer. In any case, after reading your post that's it, it's getting tossed!! It is after all only a hair dryer, easily replaced, no sense taking a risk.

Hairdryer Plug Dropped in Toilet

Don't you hate when that happens{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Goodness knows we have all done it to something electrical and thank goodness we live to tell about it. Smart move to toss it and just wondering if your outlet has a reset button in the middle of it - You will have to press it.

Super Contributor

Glad to hear that, shaggygirl! I think it's best all around. Smile

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/5/2015 hopi said:

Hairdryer Plug Dropped in Toilet

Don't you hate when that happens{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Goodness knows we have all done it to something electrical and thank goodness we live to tell about it. Smart move to toss it and just wondering if your outlet has a reset button in the middle of it - You will have to press it.

Ah, I just looked yes it does, and another one that says "Test Monthly". All these years and I never noticed that before, they blend right in. But I plugged something else in it to check it and it's working fine.

Respected Contributor

ShaggyGirl....don't toss it. If it doesn't work, trade it in with Folica for a $40 credit towards a new one. Just Google Folica hair trade in program. You mail yours to them but the credit is instant. Recycle and get paid for it!

They have tons of options plus coupons, plus the trade in. You can get a professional dryer for much cheaper this way!

Honored Contributor

It's your potty and you can cry if you want to.