Respected Contributor

@Jayhawk Girl wrote:

I have not been very happy with my hair OR my hairdresser lately.  I want my hair to be ear length short and very layered on the bottom.  My gal uses thinning shears to do this and I don’t like it.  My question is this:  is there a difference between actually layering and chopping with the thinning shears?  Maybe I’m nuts?

@Jayhawk Girl  Yes, there is a big difference. My hairdresser used the thinning shears on me (I have thick hair) several months ago and never again. It made some of the layers stick straight out.....I was not a happy camper. 

Esteemed Contributor

My hairdresser does my layers with scissors only....

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

My stylist uses scissors only, and cuts into the hair to texturize it. I think what they need to use or how it is done has a lot to do with each person's hair. My Mom had very thick, curly hair and they always had to use those thinning shears on her hair. I have very fine straight hair so the method to cut it is completely different.

@151949,  I've had very thick, very curly hair all my life, although it is thinning in spots now. They used to think that they had to use thinning (texturizing) shears, but that was a long time ago. Thinning shears should never be used on my type of hair. It can create frizz and fuzziness.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

My stylist uses scissors only, and cuts into the hair to texturize it. I think what they need to use or how it is done has a lot to do with each person's hair. My Mom had very thick, curly hair and they always had to use those thinning shears on her hair. I have very fine straight hair so the method to cut it is completely different.

@151949,  I've had very thick, very curly hair all my life, although it is thinning in spots now. They used to think that they had to use thinning (texturizing) shears, but that was a long time ago. Thinning shears should never be used on my type of hair. It can create frizz and fuzziness.

Never say never. I don't recall my Mom ever having frizzy hair.We lived where the summers were very humid and we did not have AC but that was never an issue for her or my brothers who had also inherited her hair. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Hairdresser, please?

[ Edited ]

@Regal Bee wrote:

@Jayhawk Girl wrote:

I have not been very happy with my hair OR my hairdresser lately.  I want my hair to be ear length short and very layered on the bottom.  My gal uses thinning shears to do this and I don’t like it.  My question is this:  is there a difference between actually layering and chopping with the thinning shears?  Maybe I’m nuts?

@Jayhawk Girl  Yes, there is a big difference. My hairdresser used the thinning shears on me (I have thick hair) several months ago and never again. It made some of the layers stick straight out.....I was not a happy camper. 

I have very thick hair, also.  The thinning works great for about a week, then it looks like doo doo!

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Never say never. I don't recall my Mom ever having frizzy hair.We lived where the summers were very humid and we did not have AC but that was never an issue for her or my brothers who had also inherited her hair. 

Okay, fine, @151949. I listen to what every stylist has ever told me and the info online.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

My hair "shatters" with the use of a razor, I ask that it never be used on my hair

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

@Jayhawk Girl I am not a hairdresser,but I do know the difference between thinning shears and blending shears because my hairdresser explained it to me. He uses blending shears on my hair rather than a straight scissor cut which can leave cut lines. 

Thinning shears are used for thick hair and have longer teeth so to speak for blades. They’re used in the middle section of the hair and not on the ends. Blending shears are used on the ends to blend the hair together and have one side that is a straight scissor and the other side has short teeth. 

Maybe your hairdresser is using the wrong type of scissors. 

Many hairdressers haven’t been taught the correct way to use a razor. A lot of hairdressers use a straight blade scissors and do a point cut if they don’t know how to blend. 

If there’s a hairdresser who specializes in cutting hair in your area you should ask around.

Good luck 😊

Valued Contributor

@nrm Thank you for the clarification.  I know she point cuts my bangs but insists on using the thinning shears to chop. I just want a layered bottom, not a randomly chopped bottom.  Thanks!

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!