Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I learned how to cut my own hair when the pandemic started and even though my salon is open now, I don't go there anymore. 

@SilleeMeeThat's exactly my situation.  I never would have had the courage to cut it myself except for COVID but now that I have, I'm so happy about it.  First I just kept up my pixie, then I decided to go for a short bob with bangs.  My hair is baby fine and straight, and this is absolutely care-free.  I can finally just "blow & go." And I'm saving $60 every time I cut it.  Win, win.

ETA No coloring needed.  I come from one of those weird families that don't get a head of gray hair. At 72 I'm still mostly light brown.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I learned how to cut my own hair when the pandemic started and even though my salon is open now, I don't go there anymore. 

@SilleeMeeThat's exactly my situation.  I never would have had the courage to cut it myself except for COVID but now that I have, I'm so happy about it.  First I just kept up my pixie, then I decided to go for a short bob with bangs.  My hair is baby fine and straight, and this is absolutely care-free.  I can finally just "blow & go." And I'm saving $60 every time I cut it.  Win, win.

ETA No coloring needed.  I come from one of those weird families that don't get a head of gray hair. At 72 I'm still mostly light brown.

@shoesnbags 

Me, too! I have zero grays so no need to color it and just like you I have saved a ton of money by not having to spend it at the salon...enough saved to buy myself something special every now and then.Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

I have to have my hair cut every 6 weeks.  During COVID last year when the beauty shops were closed, I think I went about 10 weeks without a cut.  I did not like going past the 6 weeks.  For me I just don't feel good about myself when my hair does not look good.

I live in Illinois.  I go to the beauty shop in town and pay $45 for the shampoo and cut and I give a $10 tip.      Yes, of course I wish it cost less, but the owners of the beauty shops have to pay rent, utilities, employee salaries, insurance, etc., so you have to remember they have LOTS of expenses they have to pay too.  And after that they hope to have a little money left for themselfs.

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop 

You're absolutely right but we ALL have the same expenses and hope to have some left over Smiley Happy  It just cost more to live some places than others.  I pay what she asks ($25) and a tip.  If I have forgotten to bring a check and have to pay with my debit card, I add a dollar or two because she has to pay some kind of usage fee for the card???