Respected Contributor
  • In Philadelphia, many places charge over $100 and up for a simple cut and blow dry.  Color would be a lot more.  And then the tipping.  I've been cutting my own hair for about five years, and maybe results not perfect but pretty darn good.  I did go to cosmetology school a thousand years ago so perhaps I have a tiny clue about how to do it,but not really, cutting your own is not the same thing as cutting someone else's. I prefer doing my own,not just to save money, but also I can't stand sitting on that chair with hands touching, person/stylist standing in front of me, walking around me from side to side, seeing my wet headed self in the mirror in a public place.... I much rather cut my hair myself. Many women enjoy a day at the salon and that is great. Oh gosh, and forget a facial, manicure, or massage.  Not for me😁
Respected Contributor

I have a pretty basic cut, long with some layers and wispy bangs.  After I went almost a year without a cut, my Supercuts did a trim for under $20.  Last time I had it trimmed I went to the cosmetology school where they give haircuts for $4.50 and the young woman that cut my hair did an excellent job.  The regular salons were overbooked and I just wanted the split ends cut off.  After having bangs for so long and watching how they have cut them over the years, I end up trimming them myself if I need to. 

Since my cut is so easy, I have no issue with going to the school again, if they screw it up, I'll have it cut off and go to one of the expensive salons and get it fixed.  My hair is thick and grows fast, and since I usually just wear it in a ponytail for work, it saves me a lot of time.  On the weekend I either let it air dry into waves or blow it dry - I'm very low maintenance and after reading what everyone is paying, I'm saving a huge amount of money by having a basic no-frills haircut.   

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

@kaydee50 , When living in Alabama the stylist charged $65.00 for a p ixie cut. No wash only cut. Then  we moved back to new England. Saw A Supercuts. Never wanted to go to these shops. Thought the stylists were just beginning and new. Thought TRY. It will grow back. LOL Haircut was $18.95 plus 10% disc. Came back to car and my hus sai that haircut looks better then the guy in alabama charging $65.00. I have now been a steady cust of this stylist. She always ask do you want more cut? Always satisfied and thrilled with her and her prices. TRY SUPERCUTS. Watch different stylists then choose. 

Respected Contributor

$55 for a haircut in my area seems to be the norm.  I also see $65.  I used to pay $90 for cut, color ( some highlights) and cover my gray.  Went to the same girl for years, and this was in California.  I moved to the Southeast 6 years ago and was shocked at the cost of haircuts and color.  I found someone who charged $130 but I stopped going to her.  I actually pay $20 more than that someplace else because I found my color is lasting longer at my new place.  But, I still hate paying it.

Esteemed Contributor

My niece is a stylist and manages a Supercuts in MA.  I have told this story before that I used to live too far from her salon to go there but when we downsized a few years back we were closer so DH and I both started going to her.  We are saving so much $$$ compared to the other salon we had gone to for years.  It seemed every few months the prices were increasing (and this was pre covid).  We are both thrilled with our cuts now, better than when we were paying twice the price!!  She even advised me not to color my hair so often!!  Who knew??   I too never thought I would go to a Supercuts but I have to say my niece is excellent and she has some very talented stylists that work with her.

I understand the cost of everything now, however I truly believe some of these salons take advantage of the customers.   They most likely keep a lot of the tips under the table so overcharging for services is a bit much IMO.  

Esteemed Contributor

I just changed stylists after 14 years, not because of the price, because she never listen to what I wanted. I know, I should've changed a long time ago. I kept hoping she'd brain up.... Anyway, the new stylist charges a little more, but is worth it. There is a price point I will stop out though. I would not pay more than $45 for a haircut. There are too many hairdressers out there.

Esteemed Contributor

$85.00 for a haircut?? Wow, that's a lot. I wonder if Nick Chavez gets that much for a haircut 🤨

Respected Contributor

@Effie54   I'm sure Nick charges hundred dollars +++ for a cut.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I think the answer to this question really depends on where you live.  In most salons in my area, the stylists are independent contractors and set their own prices.  As someone else said, I always get a cut and color so I really have no idea what the breakdown of cost is.

The stylist I was going to before the one I'm with now charged a lot more than my current stylist even though they are both at the same salon.  I didn't leave my stylist because of the price alone, I left because I was paying $200.00 with the tip and I hated my hair.  It turned out to be a perk that the girl I switched to does exactly what I wanted and is nearly half the price.    

Esteemed Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

$85.00 for a haircut?? Wow, that's a lot. I wonder if Nick Chavez gets that much for a haircut 🤨

@Effie54 

Over 20 years ago a family member had her hair cut by Christopher Hopkins (the Makeover Guy) when he had a salon in Minneapolis.

She hated that cut (and shhhh...so did I). She paid $200.00 back then.