Honored Contributor

I live in a very small, rural town. I lost my regular hair dresser last year. I thought I'd try one in my small town. She is the sole proprietor, a one-man show, I pay a total of $85 for cut, color and multi color highlights. What a bargain! I used to pay double with my other gal. This is the best my hair has looked in years! Happy dance!!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1Happy for you to have gotten a nice cut!

That reminded me of when I was a little girl, my Dad took me to the barber shop. I cannot remember what the barber did, or what I looked like. All I remember is my Mom yelling at Dad for taking me to his barber!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@stellabystarlight 

What an interesting experience!

I truly envy you as that was the kind of hair cut I longed for all my life.

However, having naturally curly hair made it impossible to get that smooth, sculpted look.  Sigh.  

I saw it as the "cool girl" haircut!  

Used to love the Sassoon products...remember seeing them advertised.  He was very handsome and charismatic.

I worked in the fashion industry briefly in St. Louis, for a regional sales office.  It was the most fun job I ever had.  The company, Koret (used to be Koret of California), is still in business, I think.

They had LOTS of polyester at the time...which was the newest thing.  I owned practially everything they made, but it was so hot in the summer I gave it all away.

Honored Contributor

It just dawned on me that having a haircut at a salon vs. a barber shop might be discriminatory against women. Why should we pay more money for a haircut?  Feminine razors cost more money than men's razors is another example. I'm sure shampoos & conditioners reflect that too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I own a salon for women.  I have worked in a barber shop for a short time in my career.

I also went to cosmetology school with licensed barbers who wanted to learn and be able to do woman's hair.

There is a difference.  There is more education required to work a mainly female hair salon.  You must learn skin care, make-up, color, strightening, curling, perms, manis and pedis.

Oh, there is more.  You have to know nail conditions and diseases as well as sanitation.

Barbers do not have to learn all that stuff.  They learn how to cut have and shave beards and ears amd sanitation.

Here in PA, the hours required to complete the schooling is the same... 1250 hours.  You are trained to pass the required state board exam.  It doesn't matter how good you are, you just have to pass the exam to get licensed.

Common sense should tell everyone that you cannot teach artistic talent. You either have it or you don't.

Some hairdressers aren't good at cutting, but their coloring skills are excellent and vice versa.  

I am a hair cutter...and I am good at it.  I specialized in curly hair.  I am okay with straight hair, but not excellent.  Most of my clients had curly hair.

It doesn't matter where you go, or what you pay, you just have to find someone who is excellent in cutting your texture and the style you want.  It is not always easy to find somone who is a good fit for you.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 

I also live in a very small rural town (pop. 3000).  I'd be too embarrassed to walk into our one woman barber.  My husband uses her tho.  There is a steady line of men waiting in line.  I don't think she takes appts.  I can't see myself standing in line with  bunch of old farmers waiting on a haircut lol

Respected Contributor

@stellabystarlight wrote:

Years ago, I was a hair model for the Vidal Sassoon Salon in the Crown Building in New York City - 58th Street & Fifth Avenue.  No, Vidal himself did not cut my hair, but new stylists learning the Sassoon technique under the supervision of master Stylists, did.  My haircuts only cost about $15 and I gave a hefty tip.  They didn't let you leave until your hair was perfect and checked by the master stylist.  They used special scissors and had special cutting techniques.  My hair never looked better.

I worked in Manhattan in the fashion industry and booked my appointments either on my lunch hour, or after work.  I am retired now and have my hair done locally, but in my opinion, there was nothing better than a Sassoon cut.

@stellabystarlight 

What an interesting, fun story.

I had one "encounter" with a famous stylist back in the late 70s.  His name was Suga and he was the stylist who gave Dorothy Hamill her famous haircut. 

It was a huge splurge but I was able to get an appointment with him for "the" haircut.  I LOVED it. Suga was a quiet, serious gentleman.  Sadly he died young.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm   Go with your DH sometime and speak to her.  She might allow you come come in as her first or last customer when no men are there.

It is not unusual to see men in woman's salons getting their hair cut, styled and colored. It used to seem odd, but no more.  I have been cutting my husband's hair since he was 16.  I don't athome now, but he used to come into the salon when I was working.

I have personally cut the hair of many men in the salon.  

Funny story:  I am short.  I was washing a young man's hair at the shampoo bowl and wasn't paying attention.  Poor guy had my large breasts in his face.  He finally spoke up about it.  His face was quite red with embarassment and I am sure mine was too.  After that I was careful to always stand up straight.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Haircut today

[ Edited ]

@NewNickname1x1000 wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:@NewNickname1x1000 

The barber did an excellent job, while explaining how their training is completely different.

@x Hedge  I have never thought about the difference in training until this comment. Did the barber mention what exactly their training is? We have several beauty schools around here, but no barber schools that I'm aware of. Just very curious.

@NewNickname1x1000 Years ago my sister was trained as a master barber/stylist.  The training took months - much longer than a cosmetologist.  I would have to ask her just how long, I don't remember.  Anyway, the difference is they are trained to do precision cutting.  To give you an idea of what I mean is that she owned her own shop.  She had cosmetologists working there.  Within 2 to 3 weeks these women would come back in for a trim and the growing out was so uneven.  They left with a decent looking cut, but it wasn't even.....if you know what I mean.  She cut my hair for years.  If you didn't go back in for months, the haircut still looked good because it was precise.  She was also trained to shave a man with a straight razor.  They were taught color and perms, skincare, manicures, pedicures, hand massage, foot massage, many, many things.   

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@spent2much wrote:

The hairdresser I had for 35 years started out as a barber.  He worked in salons all the time I knew him.  He retired a couple years ago and he can't be replaced!  Woman Sad

@spent2much 

The stylist who cut & did gorgeous comb thru highlights for me for 20 years worked as a RN for years.  Go figure!

I absolutely have NOT been able to replace him!  😭

@Drythe   Did he also do blood letting and remove tonsils? Woman WinkWoman Very Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!