Honored Contributor

$25 at the Barber Shop.  Best cut I have had in a very long time.  It's a tad shorter than I like but the cut itself is excellent.  Actually better than the last stylist and she charged $50.  Goes to show you don't have to pay big $$ to receive a great cut.  I will definitely have her cut my hair again.

kindness is strength
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Years ago a stylist botched my haircut and I had a barber do a "corrective" cut the following day.

The barber did an excellent job, while explaining how their training is completely different.

Lower price, bigger tip, better cut.

Everyone's happy. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 

Back in the 80s I shopped at a grocery store in the SF Bay Area and I always loved the haircut on one of the employees there.

It was short -- but I liked short.  And so flattering, too.

One day I finally told her how much I liked it and she laughed.  For years she went to salons and paid a fortune for cuts she didn't like.  Frustrated, she went to a neighborhood barber.  He looked at her like she was crazy, but went ahead and cut her hair.

It was inexpensive and just perfect for her.  A real head-turner.

Lately I've been having the same thoughts about going to a neighborhood barbershop and asking for a trim.  I'm tired of the high prices and then big tips for cuts that just don't look like what I paid for them.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I have been tempted to do the same thing. It seems whenever I find someone and like the cut, they don't hang around for long.

If I take a chance with a new person, more often then not I get a cut that I don't care for.

Respected Contributor

Re: Haircut today

[ Edited ]

Why does a mans haircut cost 1/2 price of a woman? So wrong.

I find salon Stylists cut everyone's hair like it's straight hair. But I have odd wavy-curly nappy hair. When I ask them to cut it dry, they refuse. On the few times I got a salon cut I liked, I went back and they can't duplicate it because of my unpredictable hair- Gave up. I cut it myself now and I'm never disappointed!! 

Frequent Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

The barber did an excellent job, while explaining how their training is completely different.

@x Hedge  I have never thought about the difference in training until this comment. Did the barber mention what exactly their training is? We have several beauty schools around here, but no barber schools that I'm aware of. Just very curious.

Respected Contributor

The hairdresser I had for 35 years started out as a barber.  He worked in salons all the time I knew him.  He retired a couple years ago and he can't be replaced!  Woman Sad

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

Years ago, I was a hair model for the Vidal Sassoon Salon in the Crown Building in New York City - 58th Street & Fifth Avenue.  No, Vidal himself did not cut my hair, but new stylists learning the Sassoon technique under the supervision of master Stylists, did.  My haircuts only cost about $15 and I gave a hefty tip.  They didn't let you leave until your hair was perfect and checked by the master stylist.  They used special scissors and had special cutting techniques.  My hair never looked better.

I worked in Manhattan in the fashion industry and booked my appointments either on my lunch hour, or after work.  I am retired now and have my hair done locally, but in my opinion, there was nothing better than a Sassoon cut.

Honored Contributor

@just bee    My last stylist was being raised to $55; however, you are not receiving a $55 cut.  Some stylists are $65 and we are talking the suburbs.  I use to go to a well known beauty salon and get cuts for free with trainees supervised by the Sr. Sylist Supervisor.  I never walked out with a bad cut.  They had a certain technique that was taught.  Unfortunately, the location I was going to closed and I did not feel like traveling 15 to 20 miles away to go to another location (I think he had 3 salons total since closing the one).  Any way it doesn't hurt to check out the Barber just asks questions.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@stellabystarlight    Vidal Sasoon started it all.  I never had a cut in his salon but i used his products.  He made hair cutting more interesting and he introduced different styles.

kindness is strength