Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1:is there a Cosmetology school near you? Google it. Much more cost effective than any salon, and worth an extra drive if available. While I choose to have my cut done in a salon with someone more experienced, I have many other hair services done there (color, highlights, deep conditioning, keratin smoothing or perm, etc.) and yes I tip there. 

Change is good! When I moved I saw a woman whose hairstyle and cut I admired. She referred me to a very small local salon. I now get my hair cut there by the owner and have my nails done there by a young woman instead of going to my overcrowded local "nail factory". Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1   A good stylist is worth the money, to a point. She's willing to work with you on the charges and I'd stay with her. It's a given, she'll have to charge more again. Take advantage of her generosity for now and then look for a different stylist later. Hope all goes well with this dilemma. There's nothing worse than a bad haircut. 

Honored Contributor
Unless she was very, very good I would go to the new stylist. 5 weeks is a long time to respond to a note.
Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

Personally, I would not have asked the original stylist to refer another stylist. That was rude IMO.

Go to Great Clips or similar. It is cheaper and yes it can be hit or miss, but i find if you adopt a pretty easy style to work with on your own..anyone would do. I tip 100% and still pay 50% what most people spend.

@LizzieInSRQ @I agree with going to a chain salon. I have been going to SuperCuts for about 12 years. There are 3 stylists that are very good and I like. I pay $15 plus $5 tip and still getting out of there cheap. 

Completely agree about Super Cuts.  Have lived in 3 different cities and always go to a SC.  Fortunately, I am "low maintenance" have a short style and have never received a "bad" haircut.  Here in Chicago the base price for just a haircut is $18.95 but I always get a $3 or $4 coupon or at the very least 10% off for a senior.  Cut with tip always under $20.  I would never spend what some women spend on their hair--$50 for a haircut--no way!!!  Love Super Cuts!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Haircut Dilema

[ Edited ]

If i really liked her as a stylist i would prob cancel the new appt and stay with her...................I left my old stylist because the distance was getting to me as we moved a few towns away...........................but it has been a battle getting just the right cut/style/color.......i really like the new stylist i have been going to and she cares and is very meticulous 

but we haven't gotten to the "totally satisfied" point yet....but i am hoping as time goes by we will.......

Trusted Contributor

Stay within your budget and do not ask her to lower her price.

As with your financial situation, your stylist has hers also.

You need to find a salon within your means.

This may take trial and error, but I have found an excellent stylist who only charges  $15.

Good luck, this might take time.

Honored Contributor

Re: Haircut Dilema

[ Edited ]

My stylist went up in price in January, as well. I save money not getting color anymore and while growing out my hair from a pixie, which needs a cut every 4-6 weeks, I've been making appts. every 12 wks. just to trim ends. DH is the accountant, but so far, at the end of a year, I'm breaking even or saving money. @Katcat1  can you space out your appts. to make it another week or two in between? It may average out for you, too.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

When it comes to my appearance and my hair I don't go cheap. I am retired and certainly watch what I buy. But I will scrimp somewhere else and splurge on my hair. Its the first thing people notice when they greet you! 

@ID2   I'm the same way!

Respected Contributor

Kat, I understand the dilemma you were facing.  If you were very happy with your previous stylist, it is hard to make a change. However, that was in excusable to wait 5 weeks to hear back from her. You did mention she often  doesn't do what you ask. In that case, maybe a change is needed. It all comes down to if you are happy and if you can afford it. Wishing you the best with the new stylist. Keep in mind since she is cutting you for the first time, she may not do everything to your liking. Be patient with her unless of course she give you a buzz cut. Lol! Seriously hope that you are very happy making the change.

Respected Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

20% - the common tipping amount - of $51 would be a ten dollar tip. $12 on $60.

I agree.  The stylist might not have been courteous to wait 5 weeks to respond, but it was also discourteous to undertip.  Better to make the effort to find a stylist within your budget and tip properly.