Honored Contributor

Okay, my stylist charged $51 and I would give her either $8 or $9 tip.  The week of Christmas her fee went up to $60 and with tip would be $70.  First of all I am divorced and retired so I don't have a huge income and I have to cap the price of a haircut off somewhere.  I was told by my stylist that the salon works with you if you are not happy with your stylist.  So I sent her a note telling her I am sorry but I can't do $60.  Could she refer to someone.  Never heard from her so today I schedule an appt. at another salon   Guess who calls?  Yes, my old stylist.  Well I don't answer the phone and we are talking 5 weeks that she is getting back to me.  However, I can stay with her at the old price or go with a younger stylist starting out.  What do you think I did?  And, what would you do?  It will be interesting to read your answers and then I will tell you what I did.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

If I really liked how she did my hair, I would stick with the old stylist.  That was nice she will do it at the former price....maybe she had to get the ok from the shop owner before she could offer that, and that was why she delayed?  

Esteemed Contributor

I bet you went with the new one. Change can be good.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 -

Interesting dilemma.

If I really loved what she did, I might go back to her. Still I think I would feel it a little awkward, also still not like that she upped it to $60. Would I think she was worth it at that price even though she said she would charge the original?

And I probably would try the new stylist u made an appt with today and if I liked her as well or better, stay with her.

Lots of thoughts go thru the mind on this one.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

If I liked the new one I would stick with her.  I wouldn't want to feel indebted to anyone.  I would feel like I were cheating the old one each time I went in.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay  I appreciate your honest input.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Maybe it's time to change your hair style to something that dosn't need so many cuts. I wear my hair in a ponytail with bangs. I can go 6+ months before wanting a trim, and the my BF does it. I always cut my own bangs. 

Esteemed Contributor

DH just does a blunt cut for me. I'm going to grow it long until I die.

For DH he just got an expensive cut that he likes.

He's going to see if another shop can duplicate it, if not he will pay the higher price. 

Unless he goes back to his hippie long hair (I hope)

Respected Contributor

20% - the common tipping amount - of $51 would be a ten dollar tip. $12 on $60.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You need to do what you feel comfortable with.

My stylist left town and I was put with a young stylist that cut a lot off!Smiley Sad