Honored Contributor

Re: Hair volumizer suggestions

[ Edited ]

@JudyL wrote:

Have an appt next weekend and thinking about getting a new haircut.  I have fine hair that is straight and no body.  Thinking of getting a layered - think shag type - haircut, medium length.  About halfway to my shoulders.  

I will need something to give my layers some oompf.  I want something I can spray on or maybe a mousse type product that will had some volume when I blow dry.  Don't spend a lot of time on my hair, usually blow dry, a touch up with one of the Calista heated brushes and I'm done.

What are some of your favorite products for adding volume without being stiff or crunchy?

@JudyL  I style my hair the same way.  I start out by cleansing with Tweak’d shampoo & conditioner or the scrub and conditioning treatment.  Before the blow dryer, I’ll spritz a little Tweak’d Revitalizing Mist at the bottom of my hair followed by a pump or two of the Tweak’d Styling Cream.  After styling and combing my hair into place, I’ll use a pea size amount of the Tweak’d Volumizing Clayditioner rubbed between my hands and applied under the hair, at the scalp.  Whatever is left, I’ll use to piece my bangs apart.  I finish with some Tweak’d Anti-Frizz Hairspray.  My hair is in good condition, not stiff or crunchy.

Esteemed Contributor

Buy a good styling product. A blow out spray (Amika) or moouse ( Oribe) Boy I might of butchered the spelling here but you get the idea. Enjoy your new hairstyle. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JudyL wrote:

Have an appt next weekend and thinking about getting a new haircut.  I have fine hair that is straight and no body.  Thinking of getting a layered - think shag type - haircut, medium length.  About halfway to my shoulders.  

I will need something to give my layers some oompf.  I want something I can spray on or maybe a mousse type product that will had some volume when I blow dry.  Don't spend a lot of time on my hair, usually blow dry, a touch up with one of the Calista heated brushes and I'm done.

What are some of your favorite products for adding volume without being stiff or crunchy?

@JudyL   CATWALK Root Boost Spray. I had my long hair cut (again) into a pixie cut...layers. I use this underneath wet hair, at the roots, just where I want some lift, more body. No crunch since, unlike other styling products, it's not on the surface of the hair. Enjoy your new cut.

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for great suggestions.  Will talk to my stylist next week and see what she suggests too.

Honored Contributor

I also have layered almost to my shoulders hair but it's not fine.  Two products I LOVE are Big Sexy Hair POWDER Play and Drybar Triple-Sec.  The first is a powder that is unlike anything I've ever seen and the Drybar is a spray.  You can watch YT vids to see which product suits your needs the best.  If I could only gave one, it would be the Powder Play by Big Sexy Hair.  My WM doesn't carry it so I have to order it from Amazon.  Day 3 hair looks as good if not better than day 1

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I also have layered almost to my shoulders hair but it's not fine.  Two products I LOVE are Big Sexy Hair POWDER Play and Drybar Triple-Sec.  The first is a powder that is unlike anything I've ever seen and the Drybar is a spray.  You can watch YT vids to see which product suits your needs the best.  If I could only gave one, it would be the Powder Play by Big Sexy Hair.  My WM doesn't carry it so I have to order it from Amazon.  Day 3 hair looks as good if not better than day 1

@monicakm I love the Big Sexy Hair Powder Play. .Use it at the roots only, and you can go three days or more, and it does get better. Just massage the scalp, and your hair lifts again day after day. 

It is very strange at first, because it is a powder that liquefies (as it absorbs the moisture at your roots). once  you get used to using it it doesn't feel as weird. I love it, and it give me such volume.

Honored Contributor

@manny2 

What I found odd is the way the white powder feels so cool on your scalp and as soon as you start massaging it into your roots, it disappears.  Each day afterwards, massage, fluff and you're good to go Smiley Happy  It's a miracle product for sure!

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@manny2 

What I found odd is the way the white powder feels so cool on your scalp and as soon as you start massaging it into your roots, it disappears.  Each day afterwards, massage, fluff and you're good to go Smiley Happy  It's a miracle product for sure!

@monicakm   I use Morrocanoil Dry Shampoo (comes in light tones). It's great for second or third day hair or after a workout and still have to run erands. The issue is most of these powders that add volume also have alcohol which can be drying. If I know I may not wash my hair for a day or two, I use it the first day, on just washed hair. It seems to add body and absorbs any extra oil that may appear the next day. 

Respected Contributor

IGK Beach Blub Bouncy Blowout Creram!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Here are the ingredients for BSH Powder Play.  I don't see alcohol unless it's under and alias Smiley Tongue  I love this stuff and can't imagine something better (for my use).  My hair is dry anyway and for 2nd and 3rd day hair, I just turn my head upside down and fluff.  It's simply amazing!

Ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), Propylene Glycol, Silica Silylate, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate, Calcium Gluconate, Citric Acid, Passiflora Edulis (Passion Fruit) Seed Oil, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Euterpe Oleracea (Acai) Fruit Oil).

Google says that Propylene Glycol (2nd ingredient) belongs  to there same chemical group as alcohol.  I'll deal with it.  I usually wash my hair only 2x a week and always use a good conditioning mask.