Honored Contributor

Re: Hair style with thin crown area

Toppik, just sprinkle it in the thinning areas, works like a charm. I get it on ebay.

Honored Contributor

@lulu1wrote:

Joan Rivers Have a Great Hair Day fill in powder is designed to hide peekaboo scalp.

Joan Rivers Beauty Great Hair Day Fill-In Powder Auto-Delivery - A91735

Yes....I use this at the temples. It is a godsend!

Honored Contributor

I really do look much better with longer hair than going short. I tried short and it didnt look good at all  Smiley Sad

I wonder about shorter layers on top but longer length. Wouldnt that look like a mullett??

I have been using the hair powder from Signature Club A and it helps a bit. But the area is not small.  But I did try teasing a bit at the crown and that is a huge help!!

Thanks so much everyone for your input!! Smiley Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs  No, a good layered cut won't look like a mullet.  You need it layered and tapered from the top to the bottom.  Top layers don't have to be short .... my crown layers (other than bangs) are 5-6 inches long.  They fall down a bit lower than the top of my ears.  But, they'd be many inches longer if they fell to my chin or shoulders.  The whole cut is layered.  Not just the top.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a lot of hair but with age the top had thinned - I use Womens Rogaine and new hairs are growing in like crazy and making my hair thick again - it takes about 4 months to work but it is worth it - the only thing is that you have to keep using it

Respected Contributor

Rogaine is great if you can use it.  I used it for years, until I realized that it was the reason my head always itched like crazy!  I take Andrew Lesman's Hair Skin Nails formula now, and am happy with that.... have seen results.  But no more Rogaine for me.

Respected Contributor

I just got my hair cut today.  After discussing my thin hair issues with my stylist, we stuck with the blunt cut bob, with bangs.  It's probably chin length. Bangs are a must for my thinning hair on top and at my temples.  I also use Joan River's Great Hair Day.

No layers!  I have had so many stylists over the years tell me NO LAYERS for thinning hair, it makes it worse.  Maybe a stacked bob (I had and did like), but no layers.

Respected Contributor

I have the same problem and when it needs to be colored it looks worse on top.  My favorite thing so far it Keranique Tint and Texture spray.  It colors the scalp and thickens the hair on top of the head.  I part the hair and spray and then part and spray until It looks full on top.  I might take my finger and run it on the scalp to spread around.  

Esteemed Contributor

Taking Biotin has helped me too....

Esteemed Contributor

I have the same problem with thinning hair on my crown.  It’s thin all over but most noticeable on my crown.   I wear my hair in a chin-length bob, all one length.  My hairdresser told me this was the best style for thin hair.  No layers and not longer than my chin so it doesn’t look stringy.  I take hair vitamins and use shampoo for thinning hair.  I don’t know if it’s helping.  To style it - - I sometimes take a little of hair from the sides and pull my hair up in clip on top, trying to give it more fullness.