Honored Contributor

Hair seems to have stopped growing after covid

I wasn't sure whether to put this in beauty or wellness, but thought well, it is a beauty issue as far as I'm concerned!

Has anyone who had covid noticed changes in their hair?  My hair has always grown really, really fast.  I wear bangs and I always need to get them trimmed very often.  Since I got covid months ago, I realized that my bangs have not really gotten longer at all!  I think my hair has stopped growing or barely grown at all since then.  Has anyone noticed this issue or lost hair since having covid?  My husband lost a great deal of his hair and his dr. said this happens to a lot of people and that it might grow back.  It doesn't always but sometimes it does.

Just wondered what your experiences were?

I have always taken Biotin with Silica for both my hair and nails.  

I don't want to have to take any drug or use any drug on my hair for this, but is there anything non-medicinal I could use that might help?

Thanks! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Hair seems to have stopped growing after covid

Covid sure has unusual long term effects. A female news anchor on our local station mentioned her hair loss, and it seems to be growing back much slower.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG 

I wonder if we will ever know what all this stuff does to a person!  It's really scary.... 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

My brother-in-law lost quite a bit of his hair from having Covid, and it has never grown back. You might consider a laser device if you don't want to use hair growth topicals. A laser device has worked wonderfully on my thin areas.

Respected Contributor

Happened to my sister in law, she lost ALOT of hair. Was told it was because of a fever for 2 weeks.   She wound up cutting it short, and it has finally grown back.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@AuntG 

I wonder if we will ever know what all this stuff does to a person!  It's really scary.... 

Fear does strange things to ones mental and physical health.  Is it limited to only your bangs?  

Honored Contributor

I had covid but it did not affect my hair. Not so far anyway. It has been over two years since I got sick with it.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I have totally saw a difference in my hair during covid--just stopped growing, it seemed.  Nothing I was doing was different, except staying at home and also getting the vaccines, no evidence that that played any roll, of course---I think stress played a huge part in it. I lived just a few miles from the nursing home where covid first broke out, here in WA state-- so was really freaked out. But now my hair is growing like a weed again. My stress problems have been  resolved and  been taking collegen supplements too, mostly for my achy joints but my hair really likes it too.

Honored Contributor

What about a collagen supplement?  I use a powdered one that I put in my coffee every morning and both me and my stylist have noticed a difference in my hair.  I did not have Covid so can't speak to that but it has made my hair stronger and healthier and I think it grows faster.  I use Andrew Lessman's powdered collagen but there are options that you can buy on Amazon - Vital Proteins and one other that @monicakm uses from Amazon.  Hopefully, she'll see this and chime in as to what its called.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   With the high fever people get with Covid, this can cause hair loss and permanent hair loss....

my Father had polio in the 1950's when he was about 34. He had constant high fevers....and lost his hair that was  always very thick and lush.  It never grew back and he was pretty much bald on top after polio.