Esteemed Contributor

Since I'm now retired, my hair is in a scrunchie pretty much 24 hours a day. I never wore a scrunchie while working ... but did wear a claw clip thingee. Can't see how there is much difference in either. I have zero idea if they are in or not, but I see a LOT of women who wear a bun and I'm guessing under all that hair is a scrunchie. Smiley Happy

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Trusted Contributor

Yes, scrunchies are back in style. There are numerous recent articles about the comeback (cannot post links here but if you google, you will see lots of info). Wild colors/patterned are in style. I recently purchased a couple that have a secret zippered pocket so you can hide $ or keys etc in the scrunchie. And I've seen people who still wear them on their wrists (scrunchie bracelet). 

Respected Contributor
I have several.plus just plain love wearing them.god forbid,if I wasn't stylin!
Respected Contributor

My hair is heavy so I go with the most comfortable and less damage to your hair.

Valued Contributor

I totally love them!  They finish off a pony tail so nicely - i have bags full of them.  I've bought some really beautiful ones from Etsy and don't care whether or not they are considered in style.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@Luvsmyfam No rubber band exposed. The satin scrunchies don't damage my hair.

When wearing a ponytail during the summer months I use Goody brand non slip elastics in a dark color similar to my hair color. They don't damage my hair and really stay put while looking unobtrusive. Available on AMZ.

@queendiva   ITA. When my  hair was a bit longer, silk scrunchies only...especially at night to preservve and not damage curls. When I did wear my hair back in a low pony (which curled under by itself to look like a mini bun), a coated elastic band w/o the metal connection is what I found helpful. It does come in many shades to match the hair and I found pale grey on Amazon. Perfect in my hair.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Hair scrunchies

[ Edited ]

@Shanus do you remember the episode in "Sex and the City" where Sarah Jessica Parker's character was trying to prove to her fellow writer (boy)friend that nobody in NYC would wear a hair scrunchie (as he had writen in his story). She saw a women wearing one and made conversation just to see if she was a New Yorker in order to prove her point to her friend. NO, the scrunchie woman was NOT a New Yorker! Smiley Very Happy

THAT show was from over 20 years ago, SO, I say -- it was a fashionable style in the late 80s, then by 2000 it went "out" -- at least in the city. So NOW -- I say it has GOT to be back in style -- for those of us who want to sweep our luxurious locks off of our face!

-Solar Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I was also reminded of the SATC scrunchie episode. 

Honored Contributor

@Solar Is My Name wrote:

@Shanus do you remember the episode in "Sex and the City" where Sarah Jessica Parker's character was trying to prove to her fellow writer (boy)friend that nobody in NYC would wear a hair scrunchie (as he had writen in his story). She saw a women wearing one and made conversation just to see if she was a New Yorker in order to prove her point to her friend. NO, the scrunchie woman was NOT a New Yorker! Smiley Very Happy

THAT show was from over 20 years ago, SO, I say -- it was a fashionable style in the late 80s, then by 2000 it went "out" -- at least in the city. So NOW -- I say it has GOT to be back in style -- for those of us who want to sweep our luxurious locks off of our face!

-Solar Smiley Happy

@Solar Is My Name   I never have cared what's in or out of style. With longer, heavier hair in humid summer months, or any time, scruchies reign supreme.

Respected Contributor

@Solar Is My Name I do remember that episode with sjp!