Respected Contributor

Re: Hair products without silicone (Shea Moisture?)

I am 48 and I never ever had bad results from silicones. Never ever had buildup. NEVER.  All I do is alternate shampoos every couple of days. 

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddesswrote:

Some silicones are water soluble and will easily wash out with a sulfate-free shampoo.  It seems almost impossible to find good silicone-free products.  I have fine hair, so I can't use some of the Shea Moisture styling products.  I have been using the Curl & Style Milk though, and like it, but also have to use another product for better curl definition.  It says for thick, curly hair, but I am able to use it with no problem.  I'm also considering Curls Creme Brulee which also has no silicones in it.  It seems to be a bit richer formula which I'm thinking will work better when I have a fresh perm vs the 9 mo. old perm I currently have.  

The other product I am using for curl definition is Curls Goddess Curls (a gel).  I was using a Samy product, but it was discontinued, so thankfully I found this and turns out I like it better.  The Samy product was thin and too easy to get all over things as I tried to close it.  It also has no silicones in it.  I do finish up with a product that has silicone in it mixed with some oils that I mixed up, but I think that's the only product I currently use that has silicones.  I only shampoo once a week with Pureology and use a cleansing conditioner on the other days that I shower.

You mentioned heat protectant.  If you're talking about a curling iron or straightening iron, actually you really do want a silicone product for that.  Silicoes make great heat protectants.  I only use a diffuser on my hair and it doesn't get that hot, so I don't concern myself with that.  I stick my hand right in there with it as I'm drying with no problem whatsoever.

There's one other product I use.  It's kinda new (I'm on my 1st bottle), but already seems to be disappearing from my store shelf so it may not make it much longer.  It's VO5 Shine, Glow, & Go Beauty Oil.  It can be used in hair and on the skin and has no silicones which is really alost unheard of if you've looked at shine oils.  Almost all of them have a silicone as the 1st ingredient.  The only other one I have found that doesn't is one of the Redken Diamond Oils.  I spray a little in my hands and put on wet hair before the Curl & Style Milk and then the gel.  

I do abuse my hair a lot since I both perm and color, so I try to condition and use oils to recover from that.  The alternative would be to use a hot iron on it every day which I think would be just as or maybe even more damaging.

What annoys me a bit when they advertise  a silicone free shampoo  but the matching conditioner has silicones.  Kinda defeats the pourpose  does it not?

Oh ya Matrix Volume rose shampoo AND  conditioner is silicone free and I love it.  Just the rose scent bothers me somethines but it gives you amazing shine and smoothness

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Living Proof is mostly silicone free. Haven't looked at all of their products but they advertise as silicone free. 

Honored Contributor

@segrl21wrote:

Living Proof is mostly silicone free. Haven't looked at all of their products but they advertise as silicone free. 

They are all silicone free.  I do like LP.

@segrl21

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I read to stay away from dimethicone in shampoos and products--that is the cone that doesn't come out easily and builds up.  Other cones--the one with an "a" is better. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@winamac1wrote:

I read to stay away from dimethicone in shampoos and products--that is the cone that doesn't come out easily and builds up.  Other cones--the one with an "a" is better. 

@winamac1, if you want to stay away from non-soluble silicones, do look up a list. It isn't quite as simple as you might think, unfortunately.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3wrote:

@winamac1wrote:

@winamac1, if you want to stay away from non-soluble silicones, do look up a list. It isn't quite as simple as you might think, unfortunately.

As far as the one that starts with an A (aka Amodimethicone), it may not build up, but it locks moisture out of your hair AND requires a sulfate shampoo to remove:  http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/09/curl-whisperer-on-silicones.html