Honored Contributor

Re: Hair products without silicone (Shea Moisture?)

@Alison Wonderlandwrote:

@kcladyzwrote:

These  days silicones are designed to be water soluble. You should not be afraid to use them.  

Some are, some aren't. Some non-water soluble silicones become water soluble when in combination with other ingredients or starting with PEG. It can be very confusing and sometimes it's just easier to avoid them if you're not sure.

@Alison Wonderland, you're right. But the majority of silicones used in hair products are NOT water-soluble. That means that you need to use a shampoo with sulfates or at least use a clarifying shampoo regularly.

I love silicones in skincare and makeup, but I no longer use them in hair products because of the build-up and because I don't use sulfate shampoos. I have very curly, frizz-prone hair and have been able to find many excellent cleansing and styling treatments that do not have silicone.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3wrote:

@Alison Wonderlandwrote:

@kcladyzwrote:

These  days silicones are designed to be water soluble. You should not be afraid to use them.  

Some are, some aren't. Some non-water soluble silicones become water soluble when in combination with other ingredients or starting with PEG. It can be very confusing and sometimes it's just easier to avoid them if you're not sure.

@Alison Wonderland, you're right. But the majority of silicones used in hair products are NOT water-soluble. That means that you need to use a shampoo with sulfates or at least use a clarifying shampoo regularly.

I love silicones in skincare and makeup, but I no longer use them in hair products because of the build-up and because I don't use sulfate shampoos. I have very curly, frizz-prone hair and have been able to find many excellent cleansing and styling treatments that do not have silicone.

That's why I also said it's just easier to avoid them if you're not sure. Smiley Happy Better safe than sorry.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderlandwrote:

@suzyQ3wrote:

@Alison Wonderlandwrote:

@kcladyzwrote:

That's why I also said it's just easier to avoid them if you're not sure. Smiley Happy Better safe than sorry.

@Alison Wonderland, probably is best. I know that if one really wants to know, they can google for the lists of water-soluble and non-water-soluble silicones. It can be helpful in choosing a product.

I'd also rcommend that if someone wants to avoid silicones in general to look up a list of the ones that are used in hair products because not all of them end in "-cone."

BTW, your posts are very informative. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Ainhisgwrote:

@Ibby114 and @Shanus, thank you both so much!  @Shanus, is it your understanding that products without silicone are preferred?  Also, I looked up the Garnier products, because I knew they would be more budget friendly, and the leave in conditioners and oils all have some form of silicone. Maybe I’m looking at the wrong formulas.

@Ainhisg. Re: silicone. I read the ingredients on back of my jar of Garnier Whole Blends deep conditioner...no silicones mentioned unless my old eyes missed it.

Silicones tend to build up on my hair and hinder the formation of the natural curl. It also makes my hair feel more dirty and have to wash it more often. It’s a personal decision.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3wrote:

@Alison Wonderlandwrote:

@suzyQ3wrote:

@Alison Wonderlandwrote:

@kcladyzwrote:

@Alison Wonderland, probably is best. I know that if one really wants to know, they can google for the lists of water-soluble and non-water-soluble silicones. It can be helpful in choosing a product.

I'd also rcommend that if someone wants to avoid silicones in general to look up a list of the ones that are used in hair products because not all of them end in "-cone."

BTW, your posts are very informative. :-)

Amen to this!

I remember getting a product home and thinking I was all good, then found out it was a super secret 'cone hiding out under the name '...-xane.' What a bummer that was! They're so much harder to avoid than I originally thought. I'm glad more companies are making silicone-free lines that make it easier to find products without having to become a chemist or carry a list of bad ingredients around in our wallets.

And thank you! I appreciate your posts, as well. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanuswrote:

@Ainhisgwrote:

What are some hair products/brands that smooth that do not contain a form of silicone?  I'm looking for a deep conditioner, leave-in treatment, heat protector, and finishing product to smooth and add shine.  Is the Shea Moisture brand good?  (I've read it was designed for ethnic hair but can be used by anyone.)

A few days ago, I posted asking about products to use in my frizzy, gray (if I didn't color) hair as my keratin treatment is wearing off.  I got many responses; thank you.  I've done so much research on the various products (and on the topic in general) that my head is spinning.  The main point I have gathered, and please correct me if I'm wrong...is that most conditioning smoothing treatments (from cheap to expensive) have silicone in them, and most (not all--and there are some better than others) silicone build up in the hair causing the hair to have even more problems as time goes on.  You can use a clarifying shampoo to get rid of the build-up, and there are some made for color-treated hair, but that is a vicious cycle in itself.  I read labels at the drugstore and at Sally's Beauty Supply, read labels online of high-end products that I have favored in the past (Pureology, Kerastace, Oribe, etc.), and read labels on products I am currently using...most high-end.  All have some form of silicone.  

Any advice or product recommendations?

Hi @Ainhisg. None of my Living Proof (Frizz line) have silicones, neither does my Garnier Whole Blends products. Also Deva Curl (entire line) at Sephora and ULTA are silicone free. I’d ask at ULTA and let them show you silicone free shampoos, conditioners & styling products. There are many to choose from. 

I use argan oil or marula oil for heat protection and frizz....a tiny bit on wet hair and then if needed, you can add a drop to dry hair after rubbing well between hands.

Hope that gives you some ideas and gets you started.

@Shanus you use just oil for your heat protectant ? I would think that would fry your hair. I use oil for shine and smooth any frizz but never considered it something to heat protect.  Is it just certain oils that wont sizzle?

Honored Contributor

@Suebdoowrote:

@Shanuswrote:

@Ainhisgwrote:

What are some hair products/brands that smooth that do not contain a form of silicone?  I'm looking for a deep conditioner, leave-in treatment, heat protector, and finishing product to smooth and add shine.  Is the Shea Moisture brand good?  (I've read it was designed for ethnic hair but can be used by anyone.)

A few days ago, I posted asking about products to use in my frizzy, gray (if I didn't color) hair as my keratin treatment is wearing off.  I got many responses; thank you.  I've done so much research on the various products (and on the topic in general) that my head is spinning.  The main point I have gathered, and please correct me if I'm wrong...is that most conditioning smoothing treatments (from cheap to expensive) have silicone in them, and most (not all--and there are some better than others) silicone build up in the hair causing the hair to have even more problems as time goes on.  You can use a clarifying shampoo to get rid of the build-up, and there are some made for color-treated hair, but that is a vicious cycle in itself.  I read labels at the drugstore and at Sally's Beauty Supply, read labels online of high-end products that I have favored in the past (Pureology, Kerastace, Oribe, etc.), and read labels on products I am currently using...most high-end.  All have some form of silicone.  

Any advice or product recommendations?

Hi @Ainhisg. None of my Living Proof (Frizz line) have silicones, neither does my Garnier Whole Blends products. Also Deva Curl (entire line) at Sephora and ULTA are silicone free. I’d ask at ULTA and let them show you silicone free shampoos, conditioners & styling products. There are many to choose from. 

I use argan oil or marula oil for heat protection and frizz....a tiny bit on wet hair and then if needed, you can add a drop to dry hair after rubbing well between hands.

Hope that gives you some ideas and gets you started.

@Shanus you use just oil for your best protectant ? I would think that would fry your hair. I use oil for shine and smooth any frizz but never considered it something to heat protect.  Is it just certain oils that wont sizzle?

@Suebdoo  I air dry my hair most of the time. When I do use a dryer, it’s with a diffuser and my hair is 75% dry...just use low heat to finish drying if colder before I go out. Yes, oil has done a great job for me under these circumstances.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus Oh ok so it's with low or little heat.  I was envisioning using a flat iron with the oil and could see the smoke pouring off your hair 😜

Honored Contributor

I liked the Shea Moisture products for hair But the fragrance was overpowering!! I have allergies/asthma and had to return. But like the products.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

@CherryHugswrote:

I liked the Shea Moisture products for hair But the fragrance was overpowering!! I have allergies/asthma and had to return. But like the products.

@CherryHugsThey have several varieities- all scented diffferently. Sniff a few at Ulta and see if one works better for you. I use Shea's curly hair products  and the coconut hibiscus is delish!