Respected Contributor

Hair products without silicone (Shea Moisture?)

[ Edited ]

What are some hair products/brands that smooth that do not contain a form of silicone?  I'm looking for a deep conditioner, leave-in treatment, heat protector, and finishing product to smooth and add shine.  Is the Shea Moisture brand good?  (I've read it was designed for ethnic hair but can be used by anyone.)

A few days ago, I posted asking about products to use in my frizzy, gray (if I didn't color) hair as my keratin treatment is wearing off.  It is straight on top but wavy underneath and has a lot of hairs (broken?) that stick out hence the frizzy appearance.  I got many responses; thank you.  I've done so much research on the various products (and on the topic in general) that my head is spinning.  The main point I have gathered, and please correct me if I'm wrong...is that most conditioning smoothing treatments (from cheap to expensive) have silicone in them, and most (not all--and there are some better than others) silicone build up in the hair causing the hair to have even more problems as time goes on.  You can use a clarifying shampoo to get rid of the build-up, and there are some made for color-treated hair, but that is a vicious cycle in itself.  I read labels at the drugstore and at Sally's Beauty Supply, read labels online of high-end products that I have favored in the past (Pureology, Kerastace, Oribe, etc.), and read labels on products I am currently using...most high-end.  All have some form of silicone.  

Any advice or product recommendations?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hair products without silicone (Shea Moisture?)

I love Shea Moisture- I'm venturing into it slowly, just to be sure!! So far I've used the Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine shampoo and conditioner and they're terrific. There's a deep conditioner smoothie also- I have to try to it still. Maybe tonight and I'll report back! Woman Very Happy

I love how reasonable the product line is - I've spent $$$ for other brands too!

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisgwrote:

What are some hair products/brands that smooth that do not contain a form of silicone?  I'm looking for a deep conditioner, leave-in treatment, heat protector, and finishing product to smooth and add shine.  Is the Shea Moisture brand good?  (I've read it was designed for ethnic hair but can be used by anyone.)

A few days ago, I posted asking about products to use in my frizzy, gray (if I didn't color) hair as my keratin treatment is wearing off.  I got many responses; thank you.  I've done so much research on the various products (and on the topic in general) that my head is spinning.  The main point I have gathered, and please correct me if I'm wrong...is that most conditioning smoothing treatments (from cheap to expensive) have silicone in them, and most (not all--and there are some better than others) silicone build up in the hair causing the hair to have even more problems as time goes on.  You can use a clarifying shampoo to get rid of the build-up, and there are some made for color-treated hair, but that is a vicious cycle in itself.  I read labels at the drugstore and at Sally's Beauty Supply, read labels online of high-end products that I have favored in the past (Pureology, Kerastace, Oribe, etc.), and read labels on products I am currently using...most high-end.  All have some form of silicone.  

Any advice or product recommendations?

Hi @Ainhisg. None of my Living Proof (Frizz line) have silicones, neither does my Garnier Whole Blends products. Also Deva Curl (entire line) at Sephora and ULTA are silicone free. I’d ask at ULTA and let them show you silicone free shampoos, conditioners & styling products. There are many to choose from. 

I use argan oil or marula oil for heat protection and frizz....a tiny bit on wet hair and then if needed, you can add a drop to dry hair after rubbing well between hands.

Hope that gives you some ideas and gets you started.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ibby114 and @Shanus, thank you both so much!  @Shanus, is it your understanding that products without silicone are preferred?  Also, I looked up the Garnier products, because I knew they would be more budget friendly, and the leave in conditioners and oils all have some form of silicone. Maybe I’m looking at the wrong formulas.

Respected Contributor

I just did a search & lots of options available. I can't use any ingredients on my face that end in cone, they make my skin red & breakout... makeups are loaded with them. I'm careful when I wash my hair not get get any shampoo or conditioner on my face or I'll breakout so I keep my head tilted way back...I never thought about silicone in my hair products, I need to go silicone free too. Thanks for your post @Ainhisg, hope other posters can give recommendations.

Honored Contributor

Some silicones are water soluble and will easily wash out with a sulfate-free shampoo.  It seems almost impossible to find good silicone-free products.  I have fine hair, so I can't use some of the Shea Moisture styling products.  I have been using the Curl & Style Milk though, and like it, but also have to use another product for better curl definition.  It says for thick, curly hair, but I am able to use it with no problem.  I'm also considering Curls Creme Brulee which also has no silicones in it.  It seems to be a bit richer formula which I'm thinking will work better when I have a fresh perm vs the 9 mo. old perm I currently have.  

The other product I am using for curl definition is Curls Goddess Curls (a gel).  I was using a Samy product, but it was discontinued, so thankfully I found this and turns out I like it better.  The Samy product was thin and too easy to get all over things as I tried to close it.  It also has no silicones in it.  I do finish up with a product that has silicone in it mixed with some oils that I mixed up, but I think that's the only product I currently use that has silicones.  I only shampoo once a week with Pureology and use a cleansing conditioner on the other days that I shower.

You mentioned heat protectant.  If you're talking about a curling iron or straightening iron, actually you really do want a silicone product for that.  Silicoes make great heat protectants.  I only use a diffuser on my hair and it doesn't get that hot, so I don't concern myself with that.  I stick my hand right in there with it as I'm drying with no problem whatsoever.

There's one other product I use.  It's kinda new (I'm on my 1st bottle), but already seems to be disappearing from my store shelf so it may not make it much longer.  It's VO5 Shine, Glow, & Go Beauty Oil.  It can be used in hair and on the skin and has no silicones which is really alost unheard of if you've looked at shine oils.  Almost all of them have a silicone as the 1st ingredient.  The only other one I have found that doesn't is one of the Redken Diamond Oils.  I spray a little in my hands and put on wet hair before the Curl & Style Milk and then the gel.  

I do abuse my hair a lot since I both perm and color, so I try to condition and use oils to recover from that.  The alternative would be to use a hot iron on it every day which I think would be just as or maybe even more damaging.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Garnier has a silicone free  leave in spray that is amazing. Called sleek & shine zero.  ot really does smooth and add shine well Shea Moisture  also has aboyt 6 hair oils even Argan  that is 100% pure and only $8.99 at Target and/or Ulta

Personally  I love silicones.  I experience no buildup  or negative issues with it

Respected Contributor

These  days silicones are designed to be water soluble. You should not be afraid to use them.  

Respected Contributor

I like a lot of things from Shea Moisture and find others too heavy for my hair. My hair is curly, so I like things from the Coconut & Hibiscus curly line. The Coconut and Hibscus conditioner was way too heavy for my hair, but I like other items.

They do make different deep conditioners, so you have a variety to choose from there.

Cantu has a line without silicones, the Cantu Naturals line. You can find some of their items in some drugstore, grocers, and Target stores.

I use a lot of DevaCurl products and some Ouidad products. I do everything possible to enhance curl and avoid frizz, so I don't know how well the things I use would work if you want straight hair. DevaCurl does sell a lot of "try me" kits at Ulta stores.

I can tell you that I not only look for things to avoid (silicones, too much glycerin), but also for things I want included in my products. I look for products with PVP or VP/VA Copolymer and Polyquaterniums on my products. I've found that products with one or more of those ingredients do the most to prevent frizz in my hair. A lot of curly products include glycerin and glycerin + humidity = frizz. I look for styling products with glycerin either low on the ingredient list or not on the list at all and make sure that if it includes glycerin, it also includes the PVP or a Polyquaterniums.

Respected Contributor

@kcladyzwrote:

These  days silicones are designed to be water soluble. You should not be afraid to use them.  

Some are, some aren't. Some non-water soluble silicones become water soluble when in combination with other ingredients or starting with PEG. It can be very confusing and sometimes it's just easier to avoid them if you're not sure.