Valued Contributor

Hair product recommendation....

I finally got a hair appointment! Yeah!! I currently look like Cousin It! :-)

I'm going to get a messy shag cut for my little over shoulder-length hair. I have very fine hair, but lots of it. My hair gets very heavy and takes forever to dry. Then becomes flat and drab. I'm hoping the texture of a shag will lighten it up and give volume. Any recommendations of styling/texturizing product to give it the shaggy/messy look? 

I loath dry shampoo, but if I must use it to keep the style, I'll have to get used it. 

Thanks in advance. :-) 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Hair product recommendation....

@CritterKeeper 

Yayy, you're gonna feel like a million bucks! I recently tried this and am loving it.

AC39DB98-A324-4797-84C3-BB846276CADA.jpeg

OGX Flexible + Beeswax Texture Hair Spray Wax 6oz. I buy at CVS, but I think Ulta sells it too. Its hard to find locally, but no problem online. 

⚓️
Trusted Contributor

Another option texturizer that gets good reviews by Tresemme. I haven't personally used it. 

BD133092-F84B-4F12-AA16-53F0D4272FF6.jpeg

⚓️
Super Contributor

Lovemybaby, thank you.  I will try it also.

Honored Contributor

@CritterKeeper   You may want to consider cuttiing off some length.  Longer hair pulls at your scalp and will eventually thin your hair on the top.  Herbivore has a sea salt spray that texturizes.  You spray a little on dry hair and instant texture.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CritterKeeper   Texturizing sprays, styling & volumizing products usually contain alcohol which dry out the hair causing it be dry, lack shine and eventually break. Be sure to check ingredients. Even shampoos & conditioner that say "volumizing" or "thickening" can be counterproductive. I use the BIOTERA mousse & gel (both alcohol free) from Amazon. I think they also have s&c without alcohol, sulfates, parabens or silicones. All are drying and take away shine and moisture. When that happens, hair falls flat. 

My biggest tip to get more volume is to change your part on alternate weeks...side to side, upper or lower and don't use any hair ties or pull hair tightly that does cause stress and breakage. Microfiber towels instead of cotton terry towels keep hair from drying/frizzing and once again, my suggestion of a satin pillow case. 

If you have an oily scalp which can fight volume, keep conditioner off that area and switch to a lighter one for fine hair. 

***The trick w/ dry shampoo is to use it at night along the scalp in parted hair & rub it in the scalp gently. It gives the hair &scalp a chance to absorb it.

Hope some of these suggestions help you.

Trusted Contributor

@CritterKeeper @Fribwl 

I had a return for Target and picked up the Tresemme TEXTURE. Don't waste your money (4.99) on this one. Its being returned tomorrow. Stick with the OGX one, little more pricey but worth the difference.

The Tresemme TEXTURE basically performed like a dry shampoo which I have not been satisfied with any I've tried. Just wanted to follow up and give a heads-up. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

You might want a texturizing produt strictly for the ends to break up the hair.  I don't have a shag, but do avoid all the ingredients @Shanus mentioned except the parabens.  I haven't seen anything saying they are drying for hair, and I don't think there's enough science to prove that they are a health risk and consider PEG's to be more dangerous.   I use the Tweak's Restore treatment oil (which is not really an oil) as a finishing product on my hair. I have very fine fly-away prone hair and it controls that without weighing it down.   Not sure if it would work for textruizing, but it would be a healthy alternative.