Trusted Contributor

First of all, allow me to say Happy Fourth to all. And, a safe one.

I have a question regarding hair oils. I bleach my hair and my hairdresser uses a product that has oil in it. It is not platinum but more of a champagne color. No stripping. No highlights. My hair is what I would call fine and in the summer I pull it back so it is flyaway. I have been using Kerastase oil (I was the one who asked the question about the Kerastase Fusio Dose)  I use the Kerastase hair oil. For the price it is just OK. Any other suggestions for a hair oil?

Regular Contributor

I like Moroccanoil Light. But if you bleach and you have fine hair, any oil tends to make the hair greasy. Just my experience.

Honored Contributor

How are you using it? As a styling product? As a conditoner? 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I use it as a conditioner. Not a styling product. I have Morrocan Root boost for that. I also have a B n B root boost product. I will not be repurchasing that one because I suspect it may dry my hair.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hair oil question

[ Edited ]

@Deanie wrote:

First of all, allow me to say Happy Fourth to all. And, a safe one.

I have a question regarding hair oils. I bleach my hair and my hairdresser uses a product that has oil in it. It is not platinum but more of a champagne color. No stripping. No highlights. My hair is what I would call fine and in the summer I pull it back so it is flyaway. I have been using Kerastase oil (I was the one who asked the question about the Kerastase Fusio Dose)  I use the Kerastase hair oil. For the price it is just OK. Any other suggestions for a hair oil?

@Deanie  Good morning. If my grey/white hair needs a little shine/protection, I use Josie’s Light Argan oil or inexpensive versions of Argan, marula, or jojoba....Try Trader Joe, Whole Foods or Amazon. The trick is keeping it off the scalp...just on hair.

***The morrocan oil was very heavy for my hair, too. 

Trusted Contributor

OK, keeping it off the scalp. I see.

Respected Contributor

@FleurFairy wrote:

I like Moroccanoil Light. But if you bleach and you have fine hair, any oil tends to make the hair greasy. Just my experience.

Moroccanoil products are mostly silicones with some argan oil. It's the silicones that do most of the work smoothing the hair.

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure which of the Kerastase oils you were using, but like Moroccanoil products, they are mostly silicones with some argan oil and fragrance. It's the silicone that smooths the hair, but silicones can also block moisture from getting into the hair shaft. I prefer avoiding silicones in all my hair items.

I look for pure oils without any silicones. I like jojoba, argan, moringa and mongongo oils.

Honored Contributor

@Deanie, I use Darshana Natural Indian Hair Oil.

Ingredients: Organic Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Caprylic Capric Triglyceride (from Coconut Oil), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Olea Europea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Ricinuc Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Acacia Concinna Extract, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Bacopa Monnieri Extract, Centella Asiatica (Indian Pennywort) Extract, Hibiscus Rosa-Sinensis Extract, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed, Phyllanthus Embilica (Indian Gooseberry) Extract, Serenoa Serrulata (Saw Palmetto) Fruit Extract, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Extract, Trigonella Feonum-Graecum (Fenugreek) Seed Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate).

The directions say to apply from scalp to end and leave on for at least 30 minutes or overnight before shampooing.

I don't do that. I use it as a sealer. Oils are really not conditioners as much as they are sealants. It's expensive but last forever.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@Alison Wonderland  do you by chance have any product recommendations you would care to pass on?