Regular Contributor
I've lost 3/4 of my hair after having covid in January. My derm is sure that's what it is. It's horrible..tons of hair coming out every time. I comb it. Anyone have any e experience with this?
Honored Contributor

@erichu No but my heart goes out to you.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I hope you can find some solutions. I'm hearing similiar stories, plus my hubs was hospitalized six months after covid - longhaulers and weakened heart muscle. He shaved his head because of what he experienced.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@erichu  Did you have weight loss? Twice I have had fairly quick weight loss and started losing hair at an alarming rate. Both times it came back after I stopped losing weight, so I hope the same holds true for you.  I bought one of the Toni Brattin short cut wigs. I think they look more natural than the longer ones.

I hope the problem resolves itself and you will notice little hairs starting to reappear.

Valued Contributor

Have a thyroid bloodwork.  Low thyroid can cause this, Synthroid helped and hair getting stronger thicker

Valued Contributor

@erichu , DH said a woman at his work got covid and lost a lot of hair. Her hair is growing back. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the "check your thyroid."  I noticed I was getting a bit of shedding on my clothing and now I am on low dose thyroid and my hair is just fine now. 

Contributor

@erichu   I'm eager to give you some good news. I had COVID in August and after a few months my hair started coming out much like yours. My hairdresser and dermatologist both recommended taking 10,000 mg of  biotin a day. It worked.  Before long my hair stopped falling out and started growing back. 

Biotin is availabile OTC as tablets or gummies. As a bonus, my fingernails are longer and stronger too. Good luck and assuming there's no other medical reason, don't worry. 

Regular Contributor
Thank you so much. I'll try it.
Honored Contributor

Hair grows in cycles and covid can cause the hair to go into the shedding phase of that cycle. By the time you notice your hair loss, the hair cycle has already begun going into the growth phase which is a good thing. But the frustrating part is this change of phases within the cycle can take anywhere from 6 to 9 months before you see new hairs, usually seen around the hairline. Be patient, eat healthy, avoid stress and your hair will grow back.