Respected Contributor

Re: Hair loss on top of head!!!

I was diagnosed on July 6 and started the igrow right after that.  I stopped losing hair 2 weeks after that and by the time I went back to the derm on August 17--I had substantial regrowth.  When I had my hair done on September 17, my stylist was across the room and commented on how much new hair I had.  I'm still a little sparse on the neckline, but it is starting to come in there too.

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli,

Wow, that's fantastic and really fast. Mine took months and to tell you the truth, I almost gave up on the iGrow. Now you couldn't pry it from me. I use it twice a week...faithfully.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

My hair has really gotten thin especially at the crown. I hate it. I did buy a bottle of Rogaine foam but never used it. I did not want to put all that chemical on my scalp daily for the rest of my life plus I need to know what's going on before I would even try that. I was going to go to a dermatologist but never did. 

I asked my primary doctor about it but he was no help as usual. Glad he's gone & I see a new doctor Mon. I'm hoping he will be a better doctor but I have my doubts.

I have used different overnight hair oil treatments, hair masks, scalp scubs trying to get my hair to thicken at the crown but have not found much that works. I'm guessing any of these things would have to be done for months to see results.

I started using Skinn's Collagenesis Hair kit with the new mask. I love the mask. It's suppose to be anti-aging so thought it may help. Have not used it long enough to know but my hair does look better. The scalp revitalizer feels really good on my scalp & seems to help the hair at the crown feel or look thicker. I don't know it could just be a combination of the whole kit.

I also have the Beekman Ylang Ylang Tuberose shampoo/conditioner set that my hair really likes.

Everyone is different so you just have to do some trial & error trying to find something that will work for you. I can say this gets expensive buying all the different products. I did some research & tried different things. I'm hoping I found what will work for me. 

I know a lot of mine has to do with menopause & hypothyroid. Not to mention it's a side of effect of my thyroid medication.

Respected Contributor

I have a thyroid problem but I have been on meds for about 20 years and have my thyroid checked (blood work)every 5 months and it is normal.  Looking at pictures I can see the thinning started years ago.  If the Rogaine does not work I will see a derm.  I have not been too impressed with the derms in my area.  The last time I went was for a mole on the underside of my breast and he just siad it was the sun.  That part of my breast has never seen the sun or daylight as I have been wearing a bras since about age 12. As far as doing something for the rest of my life like rogaine that does not bother me since I am on synthroid for the rest of my life.  I would love to try the Hair max but quite expensive but may wind up trying it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chiclet wrote:

I have a thyroid problem but I have been on meds for about 20 years and have my thyroid checked (blood work)every 5 months and it is normal.  Looking at pictures I can see the thinning started years ago.  If the Rogaine does not work I will see a derm.  I have not been too impressed with the derms in my area.  The last time I went was for a mole on the underside of my breast and he just siad it was the sun.  That part of my breast has never seen the sun or daylight as I have been wearing a bras since about age 12. As far as doing something for the rest of my life like rogaine that does not bother me since I am on synthroid for the rest of my life.  I would love to try the Hair max but quite expensive but may wind up trying it. 

@chiclet Hope you find something that works for you.

I forgot to say in my other post that you stated your hair seemed thinner since using Rogaine. In the instructions that came with it it does say you will shed hair when you start using it. After that it should start growing but you have to keep using it to keep those results.

My sister tried Rogaine but said it left her scalp area greasy looking so she would not use it. She has been taking Synthroid since she was 17 yrs old after she had thyroid cancer surgery.  I'm not sure what year I started taking thyroid medication but it's been well over 30 yrs. I know it was early 80's. My hair has been thinning for years.

Respected Contributor

I've had thinng hair for years now.  I've seen my GP, my derm and an endocronologist that specializes in thyroid.  Same result from all of them - your hair is fine, your thyroid is fine, use Rogaine.

I have my thyroid checked all the time, vitamin levels checked.  Nothing is out of whack.

I'm not using Rogaine.  I refuse to put chemicals on my head.

Honored Contributor

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

I've had thinng hair for years now.  I've seen my GP, my derm and an endocronologist that specializes in thyroid.  Same result from all of them - your hair is fine, your thyroid is fine, use Rogaine.

I have my thyroid checked all the time, vitamin levels checked.  Nothing is out of whack.

I'm not using Rogaine.  I refuse to put chemicals on my head.

@RainyDayGal,

My feelings exactly about putting chemicals on your head...especially greasy Rogaine...yuk.Woman Tongue

Trusted Contributor

It might be heriditary .  I've been using Rogaine for about 20 years, every day...the liquid form with the dropper.  I also take a biotin supplement.  I'm 63 and get compliments on my thick hair all the time.  My mom had to wear a hairpiece because of hairloss and I decided I'd do everything I could not to have that happen.  Good luck !  oh, and don't stress about it...makes hairloss worse.  Good luck with ''that'' too !

Respected Contributor

Just wanted to mention that the Rogaine foam is not greasy.  I have oily hair and if it was greasy it would be a mess.  The foam is just like any other hairstyling foam you would use.