Trusted Contributor

So many times there are lovely women on TV who have longer hair that hangs on each side of their face. It's beautiful hair but I notice how often they keep messing with it, trying to push it out of the way. If that were me I'd go nuts...or use barrettes!

There was one tonight on one of the cooking shows and for some reason I couldn't stop watching her hair!

Esteemed Contributor

I let my short hair grow for about a year simply because I wanted something different than the cut I had for years. After getting it to a chin length bob I could not stand it anymore. Constantly in my face. Drove me nuts. I texted my hairdresser shortly after saying I wanted my old hair back. Much happier now. I don't know how people with long hair stand it. Maybe they're just used to it.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Short hair is my choice too.  Not only do some hosts and vendors have the long hair, then they add in the extensions.  One young, frequently on-air host has beautiful, thick, long, dark hair.  She recently got it cut a little bit.  Then she added the extensions back in.  Now she plays with her hair, as described in this post.  She is always grabbing one side of the hair and flipping it back.  Then she lets the other side flop around on the front of her.  To me it is a distracting mannerism. A couple of vendors do the same thing.  The one named Maria with BFD comes to mind, but her hair and extensions are blonde. 

Esteemed Contributor

There are so many lovely women who actually look better with hair off the face. I know I look better, and my DM always did. I just always clip back my sides, and it just sets off my features, and my hair is not flopping around.

Respected Contributor

My hair is also short because it is so thick that I would not look good with longer hair. Did that years ago. I do think some women hold onto their longer hair as they age thinking that it makes them look younger. It is nice to get a professional opinion about what works best for your face shape.

Honored Contributor

I never wear my hair down just because I HATE HAIR IN MY FACE!

Honored Contributor

OMG!   It's deja vu.

When I was a kid, all the old/older ladies used to fuss about getting your hair out of  your face.

Seems like what goes around, comes around.

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

My hair is also short because it is so thick that I would not look good with longer hair. Did that years ago. I do think some women hold onto their longer hair as they age thinking that it makes them look younger. It is nice to get a professional opinion about what works best for your face shape.

Maybe they hang onto their longer hair because THEY like it!

There is NO law you must cut your hair short at a certain age!  LOL

I don't need my stylist's permission to wear a style.

How people style themselves is a personal decision.  It doesn't detract me and I don't judge it.

To each their own!

Respected Contributor
I hate short hair. It’s too much work.
Respected Contributor

I think it can be a number of reasons women with long hair do this...they like the constant flipping of the head to swing back their long hair which draws attention to that feature of their appearance.  OR they enjoy it flopping down in their eyes and mouth and flipping it back every few seconds.  

I have never had such long thick nice hair to do any of these things but I have noticed all women that have it down seem to do this over and over again LOL!

Having hair poking me in my eye would drive me crazy....hence my bangs are not so long as to be in my eyelashes Woman Very Happy

Psychology also says it can be a sign of anxiety in the situation and it is self soothing behavior.  

Just my thoughts on it.