Super Contributor

I like to do my own color etc. I have dark brown hair and want a more caramel color highlight and end up with a yellowish color. Suggestions for this?

Super Contributor

Re: Hair highlight color help

Hi, can you describe what your coloring process is? Are you using bleach and developer? Are you coloring all over then using foils, a cap and bleaching? Or do you want dimensional colors in a one color process . You can always tone the yellow to a deeper caramel with a semi-perm or toner.

Always do a strand test before using bleach to highlight - this gives you the precise time your hair requires to lift to the level you want. Higher peroxide volume = more levels of lift.

Super Contributor

I use box color and box highlighter with cap.

Super Contributor

The developer in the highlight box may be a higher strength than you want. Does your highlight product list the ingredients? You can tone your yellow highlights with a demi-perm. Sally has several, ION, Wella and Age Beautiful. I'm a level 6 (brown) do my own highlights with 20 and 30v and get some orange tones because my hair pulls red. I used the lightest warm blonde demi shade in Wella. It came out nice. I always had a toner of some kind after highlighting when I had it done at a salon. You learn all the little tricks! Ask the SA at Sally for color advice. Oh one other thought, if you just did your highlights, wait a few days - after a week they do tend to darken a bit (oxidize). Let your eye adjust too!

self-edited