Super Contributor

Hair heat protection, what to believe

After many years of owning a CHI hair straightener I have finally been using it every day.

I bought it years ago, I think here and never used it until recently, I just tried it and put it away.

My hair is straight and  a little more than shoulder length and I part it in the middle. I have long, just past my cheekbones bangs that are parted in the middle.

I use the tool just for my bangs because I have a tiny strand in the front that is a rebel and it goes wavy, it's small but enough to look weird because the rest is straight. 

The straightener gives a nice look to the bangs, lifting them and they fall nicely to the sides of my face.

I am using a drugstore spray that is supposed to protect the hair from the heat but as I'm spraying it and ironing my bangs I'm wondering if a spray can really protect from that kind of heat, I have my doubts, in the back of my mind I don't believe it.

270 degrees, applied directly to hair and sometimes over and over, can that spray really protect?

hmm Cat Frustrated

Honored Contributor

Re: Hair heat protection, what to believe

[ Edited ]

worst thing for hair is heat.... best thing for hair is using NO HEAT.  Nothing is going to protect the hair from applying damaging heat.  That saying, what is a girl gonna do?  USE HEAT.

Super Contributor

LOL @SeaMaidenCat LOL

I feel the same but I just, so want to believe!!  

Honored Contributor

@c_la_vee wrote:

After many years of owning a CHI hair straightener I have finally been using it every day.

I bought it years ago, I think here and never used it until recently, I just tried it and put it away.

My hair is straight and  a little more than shoulder length and I part it in the middle. I have long, just past my cheekbones bangs that are parted in the middle.

I use the tool just for my bangs because I have a tiny strand in the front that is a rebel and it goes wavy, it's small but enough to look weird because the rest is straight. 

The straightener gives a nice look to the bangs, lifting them and they fall nicely to the sides of my face.

I am using a drugstore spray that is supposed to protect the hair from the heat but as I'm spraying it and ironing my bangs I'm wondering if a spray can really protect from that kind of heat, I have my doubts, in the back of my mind I don't believe it.

270 degrees, applied directly to hair and sometimes over and over, can that spray really protect?

hmm Cat Frustrated

@c_la_vee @SeaMaiden  I think heat protectants for hair do work. Although my curly hair air drys a lot, when I want to wear my pixie straight and somewhat “punk” w/ pomade, I use a flat iron on lowest heat, one pass.

Grey/white hair can easily burn and leave a yellow place....like when you iron a white pillowcase w/ too high a heat. Singed. I put a drop of argan oil in my wet hair w/ Kenra heat protectant...expensive, but spray a small amount in my hand and rub it through hair instead of spraying on hair directly. 

Honored Contributor

Better to use a spray than not IMO.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@c_la_vee

I use WEN Styling Cream which is a heat protectant.  After years of broken, ragged, split ends, I moved to the WEN SC and can style my hair with no damage.  8 years of bounce, shine & no damaged hair!

Of the products I use, this is The one I would never give up!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I would think if you use product and over time your hair is not noticeably damaged from the heat, then it works.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@c_la_vee wrote:

hmm Cat Frustrated

@c_la_vee @SeaMaiden  I think heat protectants for hair do work. Although my curly hair air drys a lot, when I want to wear my pixie straight and somewhat “punk” w/ pomade, I use a flat iron on lowest heat, one pass.

Grey/white hair can easily burn and leave a yellow place....like when you iron a white pillowcase w/ too high a heat. Singed. I put a drop of argan oil in my wet hair w/ Kenra heat protectant...expensive, but spray a small amount in my hand and rub it through hair instead of spraying on hair directly. 

What's the name of the Kenra product you use?

Respected Contributor

This is the best. It takes very little but really protects your hair. This is what my beauty shop uses and has for a long time. In fact, I like a lot of their products though they are a bit high in price.

But I won't be without this oil.

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife.   It’s called Kenra Thermal Styling Spray 19.