Frequent Contributor

Re: Hair growth after chemotherapy

@hyacinth003 mine started growing back within a few weeks of stopping chemo.  Like you, it was traumatic having it fall out, and in the end I was completely hairless. I relapsed several times and the regrowth process was the same each time.

I did notice body hair first, then fine peach fuzz which grew  -- in this stage I wore hats or head coverings as it was standing out all over the place until it was long enough to lie flat.

I had a few patches on my head that took longer to grow, as in a few months, so my hair cuts struggled for awhile.  I had the best stylist who helped me through it each time and friends who loved me through it.   My hair came back a little thinner ( had average thickness before) and wavy (it was straight). 

For me it was itchy during regrowth but the meds made my skin very, very sensitive. I took oatmeal baths when possible with lukewarm to cool water.  I also used thick, unscented lotion. My eyelashes itched the worst so I used warm compresses on my eyes to avoid ingrown hairs.  

On my head, it took about a year before I looked like my old self and longer for it to grow to shoulder length. 

Sending you a big hug! It's not easy and it's okay to love and mourn your hair.  I learned that everyone's hair re-growth is different and yours may differ from mine, but I know that you are beautiful now and in the future!

Established Member

Re: Hair growth after chemotherapy

Have read these blogs for years but never posted or commented. Created a profile because I feel the need to respond to this one. 20+ year chemo nurse here. Congratulations on completing your chemo! Following your last chemo your hair will go through it's usual thinning/falling out like you've had after previous treatments. As far as the continued treatments for being HER2+, these WILL NOT cause hair loss. Hair should start growing and continue to grow during these treatments. May come back different color (often gray or white) and probably curly. Do not use any permanent or semi-permanent colors in your hair. Temporary ones that wash out in one wash are ok. And the curl may or may not stick around as it grows. Hope this helps. Prayers!