Contributor

Re: Hair falling out from anesthesia after surgery. Need some help please.

*hugs* BEEN THERE! I had surgery in April, and from July through October, lost over half, almost two thirds, of my hair.

The good news is that it's growing back. The bad news is that at least to me, it doesn't seem to be as much of it as I was expecting. No real way to know for sure till all my hair is one length again, I suppose...

I've been wearing my hair in a pony tail, and using volumizing products to beef it up a bit. Redken Thickening lotion is GREAT! My other favorite is It's a 10's volumizing blow dry spray.

I apply leave in condition to the ends to protect from styling, then apply one of those two products on the roots and blow dry upside down with a round or large vent brush for volume. Then using a large barrel curling iron, I curl all over to give my hair some body. Finally, I tease it a bit for volume at the crown, spray a little Loreal Boost It High Lift spray (this gives me INSANE lift) on the teased areas or wherever I need height, and gently pull back into a ponytail, being careful to maintain all that work I just did. Then I spray all over to tame flyaways, with Kenra finishing spray.

I know it sounds involved and time consuming, but after a little practice, I can go from wet hair to fully styled in ten minutes. Doesn't hurt that I have less hair to dry, these days...

My hair was almost waist length pre-surgery. I've cut if off to collarbone length. I get a cut and color (foils) every 10 weeks, and have all new growth cut off at every cut. I will keep doing that till the new growth gets to that length, then I can work on growing my length out again. Also, I'm blonder now than I've ever been, because my scalp was really showing through, making my hair look even thinner. With less contrast in color between my fair scalp and hair color, it helps disguise the thinning.

I just had another surgery a couple weeks ago. I'm going to FREAK if the hair loss picks up again. I just can't bear with going through this again.

Respected Contributor

I had a similar ordeal- Surgeon cut a major artery during an operation.....had 4 additional operations before someone was FINALLY able to determine what had happened- Many blood transfusions later and I was okay- I, too, had PTSD- very scary! I also developed horrible fears- Seeing myself in a pool of blood was beyond horrifying! I know that you don't want to hear this, but you are lucky to be alive-! Talk to your doctor about the hair loss-

Honored Contributor

WOW, SouthrnGirl, you've really been through a lot. In a way, I wish I didn't click into this thread because I'm having my plumbing removed next month. I haven't been terribly worried about it, but the whole hair loss thing does scare me. I've been using WEN exclusively for the past two and a half years, and my hair is very good condition and longer than it's been in many years, so I'm hoping that will play some part in if I have any hair loss or not. I'm also wondering if yours was more severe because of your age and being suddenly forced into menopause. I'm post-menopausal so my hormone production has slowed down naturally on its own, thus will not be getting the severe surgical shock that yours did. That's just speculation. I don't have any experiential advice, but you've gotten some good suggestions. I've read that surgical/anesthesia related hair loss is temporary and it will grow back. Some ladies get their hair cut a little shorter while they're waiting for their new hair to come in again. As much as I hate to think about it, it's something I may need to consider for myself. Much good luck to you.

Frequent Contributor

I am so very sorry for your health issues. I believe what you have is called Telogen Effulvium. I do have it and the first question I am asked by any doctor is if I have had anesthesia lately for surgery. I have not, but have other issues. My hairdressers estimates I have lost sixty per cent of my hair between visits. I go every six weeks. I was told it would go back. I started my hair loss Dec. 14. I remember the exact date because it was so alarming. I did cut my hair short from chin length and then went shorter. I now have a pixie style cut. It has helped make my hair look fuller. Google telogen effluvium. It may have answers to help. Bless you for a speedy recovery.
Super Contributor

I am so sorry you have had to go through this nightmare. I am a recovery room nurse and while things like that happen very rarely they can be devastating when they do. You've gotten some great suggestions from the ladies on the board…get your ferritin level checked, take a biotin supplement, and give yourself time to heal.

Trusted Contributor

Well, ennui is GONE! I for one, reported her, and her comments have been removed! Hopefully she is gone for good!

OP, I hope that you are considering suing the doctor and/or the hospital. They are afraid and that's why they paid your bill, but I STILL think that you should speak with a good lawyer and sue.

Super Contributor

If you are experiencing hair loss as a result of your surgery, you need go to another doctor and get another opinion; I think dermatology is the speciality that treats hair loss. I don't think that this situation is best solved with "beauty" advise. I'm post cancer and I sought multiple opinions in my treatment options.

Frequent Contributor

Southrn Girl: I am so sorry for what you have been through. There are lots of us on this board who understand...what you are going through. You know that rationally you're lucky to be alive. But the replay (& post trauma) of what you went through can stay with you for a long time. It's life changing on many levels. I hope that you continue to heal, chase the blues away and smile as you focus on your upcoming wedding. The advice here is very good. I second the biotin & Andrew Lessman (Healthy hair, skin & nails) product though I'm lazy taking it. A new haircut with strategic layering might be good. These products help w/the look of fullness after shampoo: Living Proof products-- Full Thickening Cream or Perfect Hair Day 5-in-1 styling treatment; Ojon Volumizing Mousse. The best products for me were/are from Dr. Hauschka. Especially beneficial was massaging in Dr. Hauschka Neem Hair Oil all around my hairline & into scalp. (then rinsing after awhile...even sleeping in it) The Q sells Dr. Hauschka Neem Hair Lotion & it might help. I wish you the very best & all very good things to come!!!

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately your situation has happened with more than one person that has had a no cut hysterectomy. It is difficult to see everything when they enter that way and can snip things they ought not. I wish doctors would stop doing it that way, but it does prevent scar tissue, is less intrusive in that it doesn't open the body up creating a wound, or leave a scar, but that isn't worth the risk compared to what can happen, like your complications. I'm sorry for the complications, but you will need to eat a healthy diet full of fruit and veg along with good multivitamins to support your recovery from the inside out. What you eat does affect your hair and skin. Take biotin to support the growth, and I second the Maxi Hair product. You can get it at Amazon, Harriet Carter, or other stores like that.

Super Contributor

In my non-medical opinion, I would counter with a one-two punch. Take 5,000 units of Biotin (Hair, Skin and Nails) that you can get at Walgreens. Then I would switch to Nioxin for your hair. Spend extra time with a hairstylist who will give you your best look while your hair is growing back. Best of luck!