Contributor

I would highly recommend Naturtint.

Honored Contributor

I love Madison Reed. I use the formula for graying hair in the medium brown. It last a long time and the color has depth to it, not flat one dimensional. 

I tried Herbaltint which is similar to Naturtint and it did not give me the rich color I wanted. Didn’t last very long either. 

Respected Contributor
I use L'oreal Paris 6RB. Though my hair is not very gray I can use this for approximately every three months.I use shampoo only once a week. I use Suave coconut conditioner every day in the shower.
I heard it was a dupe for Wen on this forum.
My hair looks great doing this method.
Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

I have been tempted, but continue to use my Colorsilk or L'Oreal light natural brown.  The results are better than I get at the salon.  I mostly color myself, but have my hair smoothed every 3-4 months.

I've asked my stylist to use a light ash brown, but within days, it's pulling orange.  I'm going to talk to her AGAIN the next time I visit.  I'm sure it has a lot to do with having a smoothing treatment, then coloring.  While it is safe, it just doesn't take.

Nevertheless, I toy with the idea of going gray (I'm 68), but cannot bring myself to do it.  Even when there is a bit of growth, the lighter roots make me look awful.  I'm sure it is not a lovely platinum under there, so.....I continue to color.

When I was home for my 50th class reunion, I was one of the few woman that had not gone gray or blonde.

I might have to give Madison Reed a try as I'm coloring every 3 weeks.  It would be great to extend that time! 

Honored Contributor

Colorsilk for me for last 22 years, great product, great price at Walmart, and ammonia free, but permanent. 

Respected Contributor
Colorsilk for me, too. Gentle, with no smell, but it lasts. My hair grows fast, so I use it as a root touchup, without pulling it through the length of my hair, every 2 weeks. I thought Revlon would discontinue it when they introduced their much higher-priced Colorsilk Buttercream, but they didnt.

At less than $3/box, it's a steal. And even better, when Walmart has it on a "two fer" sale.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

I have never seen  a 2Fer sale at Walmart, but the regular price is $2.68, everyday, cant beat it. 

Respected Contributor
I see the "two fer" sales for Colorsilk about 3X a year. Sometimes they're in the regular area, sometimes at an aisle display. But two boxes are *always* shrink-wrapped together.

Sure, the everyday price is great; getting two for that price is even better.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

Been loyal to Revlon Colorsilk from day one. I use it for root touch ups.