Respected Contributor

Tired of dying the gray but not yet ready to grow it out.  I have dark brown chin length hair.  Hoping to try Madison Reed  OR  Naturtint.  Any thoughts/opinions on these 2 products?

Honored Contributor

High grades for Naturtint.  

Trusted Contributor

I've never tried either one.  I don't know what my stylist uses.  

But, just wanted to say that I thought I was done with dying my hair last year.  I started with some highlights, and a short cut.  I had it almost all grown out.  My original color was very dark brown....almost black.  

The back of my head had very little gray.  The top of my hair had a ton, but it wasn't an attractive shade.  It was a mess, and made me look 10 years older....and sick. 

Since 75% of my hair was still close to its original color, I dyed it again.  I couldn't be happier.  Don't even mind going to have it done anymore.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

I tried Naturtint a couple of times and it didn’t work for me.  I think it covered well from what I remember but it didn’t last long on me at all. I wish it worked. I would have switched gladly. 

Trusted Contributor

I have my hair colored at the salon.  They use Koleston Pefect on the roots and Shades EQ gloss over my entire head.  It always comes out beautiful and lasts several months.  I don't mind having my hair colored at all.  I don't think I will ever go gray.  Makes you look a lot older.

Esteemed Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

I've never tried either one.  I don't know what my stylist uses.  

But, just wanted to say that I thought I was done with dying my hair last year.  I started with some highlights, and a short cut.  I had it almost all grown out.  My original color was very dark brown....almost black.  

The back of my head had very little gray.  The top of my hair had a ton, but it wasn't an attractive shade.  It was a mess, and made me look 10 years older....and sick. 

Since 75% of my hair was still close to its original color, I dyed it again.  I couldn't be happier.  Don't even mind going to have it done anymore.

I didn't go as far as you did, but same feeling.  The gray doesn't work for me.  Some people do well with it though, making me jealous.

Trusted Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe   I so wanted my hair to grow out to be a platinum gray, LOL!  It wasn't even salt and pepper.  

My husband just said to do whatever made me happy.  Smiley Wink  My daughter said to color it again, lol.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

Gray hair needs to be dealt with by a professional. My stylist only uses Kevin Murphy products and they are far superior over any other product I've ever used on my problem hair! I highly advise this brand!!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I too have been having my hair dyed at salon but at $90 every 6-7 weeks it adds up!!

My roots begin to show at 3 weeks but I use Joan RIvers or Madison Reed powder to extend a bit.  Ready to go back to at home dying for awhile and that is why I'd like to try Naturtint or Madison Reed.

Respected Contributor

I just use L’Oréal from the drugstore, been using it for many years. I have never seen a better result from salon color vs at home. Saves me tons of money as I color every 2-3 weeks due to grey roots I don’t want to be seen.