Esteemed Contributor

I use to color my hair at home, then started going ot the salon. Tired of the dye getting on my floor and having to scrub the tile. With covid, I decided to color it myself.

I ordered a beautiful shade of Madison Reed in medium brown online. I got it a week or so ago, decided to color my hair today.

Thank God I didn't leave it in my hair as long as it said, but my hair is about a reddish black. This is not a pretty color. I have washed it probably 10 times, used baking soda and prell, let it set.

It didn't do a lot of good. Be careful if you decide to DIY your hair. This is hideous.

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat 

Sorry you had such a bag experience!

I've been coloring my own hair at home for over 20 years.

Without exception, it always looks as good or better than salon color.

I normally chose a light brown in box color as it takes darker on my hair. 

Maybe they gave you the wrong color?

Contributor

Try Mayo or a really cheap heavy conditioner. It will help push the dye molecules out without harsh fading also go out in the sun .

Valued Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I use to color my hair at home, then started going ot the salon. Tired of the dye getting on my floor and having to scrub the tile. With covid, I decided to color it myself.

I ordered a beautiful shade of Madison Reed in medium brown online. I got it a week or so ago, decided to color my hair today.

Thank God I didn't leave it in my hair as long as it said, but my hair is about a reddish black. This is not a pretty color. I have washed it probably 10 times, used baking soda and prell, let it set.

It didn't do a lot of good. Be careful if you decide to DIY your hair. This is hideous.

I had that happen when I was a teenager..my gf and  I thought we'd color our hair..I was blonde and she was a med brown. We got a sable brown!!!! We really got teased when we got to school. I was so upset my mom took me to the salon and had it bleached out. Lesson learned...I lighten my hair monthly...a medium blonde..at this point it colors the gray. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Hair dye at home, ugh

[ Edited ]

@happycat   I'm curious as to why you never put down newspaper or old towels on the floor while dyeing your hair?

confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@happycat . I would contact them if I were you-their haircolor is not cheap! I have been using Madison Reed for about 3 years now and love it, but I did contact them after using a highlight system, and my hair turned a weird color, and they refunded my entire amount. I have had no problems with their regular hair color though. 

Valued Contributor

That has happen to me before. And what worked for me, was dish soap. A lot of the hair dye washed out.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@happycat   I'm curious as to why you never put down newspaper or old towels on the floor while dyeing your hair?

confused.gif

LOL, I don't know. I put an old towel on the floor today and had no drips on it. Go figure.

Esteemed Contributor

@cactusgal wrote:

That has happen to me before. And what worked for me, was dish soap. A lot of the hair dye washed out.

Thank you so much, I will try that.

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry that happened to you .  Most of the time I color my own hair since I have to do my roots every 3 to 4 weeks.  

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to cut my own  grown out bangs.  What a mess i made!  I actually have an app. to have them corrected by my stylist in a half an hour.  For 3 weeks, I walk around looking absolutely ridiculus!  I know it is only hair, but I know how you feel.

They do make a color remover in Harmon's discount, if you have one near you.  Or Sally Hansen too.

GOOD LUCK!