Contributor

I've only gone to a salon twice to have my hair color changed.  Once, for highlights, the other for an all over color.

I cannot afford to go to a salon, and color my hair at home.  I usually stick to one brand, and know which shades look good, to avoid the color looking harsh.

I did make a mistake choosing the wrong hair color in my 30's.  I picked a shade of auburn, and I ended up looking like carrot top....THAT was hideous!

Honored Contributor

OP-----oh girl!!! I feel your pain. I used to put  a semi perm color thru my hair every so often for years--used the same brand and got fine results. I mostly got highlights at my salon 2x a year but after a bout with cancer, decided not to put any thing on my very fragile hair for fear it would fall out------but then..... decided to try the semi perm color JUST before a trip to AZ--the same brand, the same  color I always use----turns out, a fire engine shade of red was put into a medium brown color  box and------I ended up with that gawd awful red that I could not fix as I was leaving for AZ the next day!!!!!! OMG---so----I will NEVER  do my own color again----and please check to make sure of the color---I never did a color check like the box suggests----horrible!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@happycat     we have all been there... Just wear your mask and no one will know who you are....

Honored Contributor

@happycat  There is a product that will lift the color.  I don't know if you can purchase or you need to be a stylist but it would not hurt to call a beauty supply store in your area.  Good luck.

When I colored my hair at home some of the color got on the counter even though I had it covered.  I could not get the color out.  Anyway, when I moved out I was accused of burning the counter top with a cigarette. OMG!  However, it was never pursued.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

OP-----oh girl!!! I feel your pain. I used to put  a semi perm color thru my hair every so often for years--used the same brand and got fine results. I mostly got highlights at my salon 2x a year but after a bout with cancer, decided not to put any thing on my very fragile hair for fear it would fall out------but then..... decided to try the semi perm color JUST before a trip to AZ--the same brand, the same  color I always use----turns out, a fire engine shade of red was put into a medium brown color  box and------I ended up with that gawd awful red that I could not fix as I was leaving for AZ the next day!!!!!! OMG---so----I will NEVER  do my own color again----and please check to make sure of the color---I never did a color check like the box suggests----horrible!!!!!

I swear that sounds so much like my luck its not even funny.

Valued Contributor

@weezer111 wrote:

So sorry that happened to you .  Most of the time I color my own hair since I have to do my roots every 3 to 4 weeks.  

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to cut my own  grown out bangs.  What a mess i made!  I actually have an app. to have them corrected by my stylist in a half an hour.  For 3 weeks, I walk around looking absolutely ridiculus!  I know it is only hair, but I know how you feel.

They do make a color remover in Harmon's discount, if you have one near you.  Or Sally Hansen too.

GOOD LUCK!

Bless your heart!!!!!...Our hair has a life of its own...get tired of the coloring...blow drying and the the straight iron to look decent...Ugh!  Woman Indifferent

Esteemed Contributor

emmygrace,

I agree totally and put my scissors in a safe place, never to take out again.  Haha!

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@happycat  There is a product that will lift the color.  I don't know if you can purchase or you need to be a stylist but it would not hurt to call a beauty supply store in your area.  Good luck.

When I colored my hair at home some of the color got on the counter even though I had it covered.  I could not get the color out.  Anyway, when I moved out I was accused of burning the counter top with a cigarette. OMG!  However, it was never pursued.

41OmmTlKWiL._AC_SY400_.jpg

It should be available at your local drug store. (CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid).

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.