Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Grouchomarx   Unless mistaken, the Carol's Daughter line is for very thick, dry, curly hair. If you don't fall into that category, these are not the correct products for you. May I ask were you looking for a hair oil? A new S&C to try? 

I have been using the monoi line for years. It really helped my broken hair. Lately my hair has been disastrously breaking, thinning and damaged. No idea why. So I was hoping this collection might be even more helpful than regular monoi. I have tried a lot of things, nothing is helping. Could be stress or the way I sleep. I use lots of oil based hair products and I like them. I guess they are not pure oil like this one is. I think I thought it would be more serum like. 

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Grouchomarx   Unless mistaken, the Carol's Daughter line is for very thick, dry, curly hair. If you don't fall into that category, these are not the correct products for you. May I ask were you looking for a hair oil? A new S&C to try? 

I have been using the monoi line for years. It really helped my broken hair. Lately my hair has been disastrously breaking, thinning and damaged. No idea why. So I was hoping this collection might be even more helpful than regular monoi. I have tried a lot of things, nothing is helping. Could be stress or the way I sleep. I use lots of oil based hair products and I like them. I guess they are not pure oil like this one is. I think I thought it would be more serum like. 

@Grouchomarx   Sometimes using oils and then not clarifying your scalp causes the follicles to clog, hair can't grow...

Respected Contributor

I can't use any "hair oils" on my scalp...one drop maybe on the ends of my hair at most.  If you only use it at bedtime and shower it gone the next day perhaps that would work better for your hair type.

Respected Contributor

@Grouchomarx  if your hair is breaking even more than normal, perhaps it is time for a visit to your doctor?  Re: sleeping, do you have a silk or satin pillowcase?  I've found that really does help reduce frizziness and breakage.  Another question, do you heat-style your hair?  If so, do you use a heat protectant product before heat is applied?  Heat is a real hair killer without protective products.  Another thought on breakage, are you using a shampoo or conditioner with alot of protein in it?  That often leads to dry, brittle hair, unless you also do a lot of moisturizing as well.  Hoping to help...

Respected Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

@Grouchomarx  if your hair is breaking even more than normal, perhaps it is time for a visit to your doctor?  Re: sleeping, do you have a silk or satin pillowcase?  I've found that really does help reduce frizziness and breakage.  Another question, do you heat-style your hair?  If so, do you use a heat protectant product before heat is applied?  Heat is a real hair killer without protective products.  Another thought on breakage, are you using a shampoo or conditioner with alot of protein in it?  That often leads to dry, brittle hair, unless you also do a lot of moisturizing as well.  Hoping to help...

Yes my hair has been breaking more than usual for about 4 months. Perhaps I should see a doctor, but times are not really right for that....I have tried both silk and satin pillowcases, they did not help the situatuon. I do use sulfate free anti breakage shampoo and conditioner as well as anti breakage spray and other things that are meant to help with this problem before styling. I do blow out most days but it's only about 10 minutes and I've always done that my whole adult life without this type of issue. Needless to say I'm going nuts! I'm starting to think perhaps it's age related and maybe menopause is approaching. I know a lot of crazy stuff can go down when that starts. Thank you trying to help me! You're so kind. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Hair disaster!

[ Edited ]

@Grouchomarx,   I agree, it's not a good time to see a doctor unless it's really an emergency.  Re: menopause, what one normally sees is a thinning as the hair follicles stop growing hairs, not breakage.  It helps to recognize that hair, itself, is dead protein once it leaves the hair follicle, only the follicle itself gets blood supply and thus nutrition from the body.  So what is breaking now was living tissue months ago, with hair growing, on average, about half an inch per month.  If your hair is breaking off at about a uniform point away from your scalp, then you can estimate how long ago it was "new" and see if you can corrolate that to a particular health issue like a fever or something that happened at about that time.  That would have made the "new" hair growing at that point in time a little weaker than normal, making it break easier.  If your hair is breaking off at all different points, then it's a more generalized issue that needs addressing.

If that's the case, then I would suggest treating your scalp and your hair with different products.  You probably need oils on your scalp, but a moisturizing mask product on the hair itself.  And you really need to find a heat protectant product to use on your wet hair before you blow it out.  What your hair could handle earlier in your life may be too much for it now, so heat protection is now a neccessity, where it might not have been in years past.

I will be honest and say that I, personally, have the best hair of my life now, in my early 60's, due wholly and totally to using WEN products.  I have more hair on my scalp from tea tree oil, my hair is strong and silky due to cleansing conditioner and weekly re-moist masks, and I can blow dry or use curling irons without damage.  In the last year I've done two perms, two color treatments, and a color removal treatment without my hair suffering a bit of damage.  I have virtually no split ends, and my hair is shiny and silky.  Not every product works for every person, but if you haven't tried WEN products, I can wholeheartedly recommend them.  The ladies on the WEN forum will be glad to help you get started with the line.

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx   No one's mentioned if your diet has changed, feeling well otherwise or unusually stressed. All can lead to hair loss. If you're feeling tired, experienced weight gain or loss while not eating differently, you may need to have your thyroid checked. Your doc should also check hormone levels.

Unless you're having to to do conference meetings on Skype, I'd skip the heat styling completely and don't use the oils that may be building up on your scalp. Use a clarifying shampoo once a week and deep condition every week (sometimes I sleep w/ mine on...towel on pillowcase).

This is the perfect time to do everything you can to get your hair as healthy as possible. When you can see your doctor, have tests run if you're still noticing a lot of hair loss. Some shedding, by the way, is normal. 

Honored Contributor

Methylisothiazolinone (MIT) and Methylchloroisothiazolinone (CMIT) are ingredients that can cause breakage or at least it seemed that way for me. They are used as alternative preservatives for many products where they leave out parabens. I had a lot of breakage until I checked every product I used and eliminated them. Even the hand soap I was using made my skin red and irritated that had it in.

I went to the derm and found this out. She said she has seen more and more contact dermatitis and hair issues with her patients since it is now widely used in hair care products...even laundry detergents.

Hope that helps @Grouchomarx . Sometimes solving a puzzle can be difficult as so many ingredients in things we can be sensitized to.

Respected Contributor

I averted a hair disaster this morning.

Bought a box of Clairol Age Defy permanent color in Medium Golden Brown.  Figured the color was right because that's the color I buy in the Clairol Root Touch Up.  Anyway, my plan was to do my roots then drag it through to my ends for the last five minutes.  I've used box color before even though I've had my hair professionally colored and highlighted for the past few years.

Anyway.

Washed my hair last night to get all product out so fresh color could "take."  Without my reading glasses on, I mixed the color into the bottle and began putting it on my roots.  I thought the color looked verrrry orange but kept going.  Once the roots were covered, I sat down and began watching the clock.  After only maybe 7 minutes or so, I saw a tube on the bathroom counter that didn't look familiar.  It was a pre-color Serum that I was supposed to put on my dry hair before putting the color on.  Ohhh, no, I completely missed an important step.  As I debated with myself whether to just keep going or rinse it out and call it a day, I erred on the side of caution and hopped in the shower to get the color out.  Good thing I did.  The color looks verrrrrrry, umm, brassy.  Can I live with it?  Yeah.  Do I like it?  No.  But I learned a few lessons.  Always read the instructions, never do this again, and only let the pros mess with color!!!  

Honored Contributor

I have not used this product.  I will say I use a pea sized amount or the equivalent if an oil.  I rub it all over my hands, both palms and backs, coating all the fingers.  Then I run fingers through my hair, all strands will be coated and your hands will be pretty well cleaned off.