Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmama When I asked my stylist to "texturize" my hair, she cut my layers, then kind of cut into those layers with the point of the scissors. My hair is fairly thick, and this did not "thin" it at all, just gave it more volume and my hair looks less like "helmet head" than it did when it was all one length. A more tousled look, more natural with the wavy texture of my hair.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman @Sahmlam @SilleeMee & all:

Deep appreciation for this thread!

I have shoulder length wavy white hair. As a result of your conversations, I've scheduled an appointment with an award-winning stylist next week to get a NEW CUT.

It's time. I'm realizing why my hair only looks good for one day. The style no longer fits the texture of my hair. As a researcher I did a lot of reading about aging hair—as a result of this thread—and learned the myriad ways our hair changes, thins, morphs, even though our brains might be stuck in what "used to work."

Looking forward to the overdue adventure of a new style.

Honored Contributor

I hope you love your new cut @1Professor. Please come back and let us know how it turns out. I would love to read about it.Woman Happy

I went and got mine trimmed off about four inches. I have long black, straight Asian hair...well now it's not so long anymore and easier to manage. I usually wear it up in a top knot or down with the ends slightly flipped out. My head feels much lighter...like a balloon head...LOL!Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I hope you love your new cut @1Professor. Please come back and let us know how it turns out. I would love to read about it.Woman Happy

I went and got mine trimmed off about four inches. I have long black, straight Asian hair...well now it's not so long anymore and easier to manage. I usually wear it up in a top knot or down with the ends slightly flipped out. My head feels much lighter...like a balloon head...LOL!Woman LOL

@SilleeMee: 4 inches! 

That's fabulous freedom.

Esteemed Contributor

@1Professor

@MomCat

Can you report back on your layered haircuts?

Respected Contributor

Re: Hair cuts and styling

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@1Professor

@MomCat

Can you report back on your layered haircuts?

@Witchy Woman @SilleeMee + all:

Thanks for remembering @Witchy Woman!

The hair cut was Monday. As I said, I had an award-winning hard-to-get (he's mostly out-of-state and works on movies) stylist (how I happen to know him is another story). So I knew he understood the underlying architecture of hair.

Also I have wavy hair. Thick. When I wear it shoulder length (often in my 30s wore it much longer) it's basically a long bob with straight across bangs and I blow out the waves. However, it has gotten frizzier and my blow outs only last one day. Plus our discussions, on this thread, as we have the privilege of growing older, not all styles are still flattering.

Don't have photos of me, but this is about what my hair looked like BEFORE the cut (only my hair is white):

hqdefault.jpg

After talking, we decided to go with my natural curls and he gave me a cut to release them. Little styling, the cut did the trick. (The cut took a long time.) This is the photo I showed him and what I ended up with, only slightly longer on front sides:

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 6.12.19 AM.png

So much more flattering and low maintenance.

The cut will last 5 months, he assured me, growing longer but with shape. And curls!  (It has to last 5 months, of course, because he won't be back in the area for 5 months!)

I think many of us, as our hair ages, develop more waves, texture, coarseness. We try to tame it with flat irons and blow drying. Without the right cut, it just seems unruly. 

After his initial cut, he did a partial dry, then observed what my hair was naturally inclined to do. Love watching an artist at work. Then cut to that.

Of course thinning hair also benefits from a cut that bows to waves and texture. He did lots of finger twisting locks while drying.  So natural, easy-to-do. 

Honored Contributor

@1Professor

Oh WOW! I think that style looks fantastic. You made a wonderful decision to get you hair cut that way. Especially if it's going to be easier for you to style it. YAY!Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@1Professor

My before is like yours (although not naturally straight -- I have it smoothed about every 3 months).

But I adore your after....it's what I would want for my own hair, although it is naturally curly, so it likely would not be nearly as smooth unless I added some kind of product.

I'm so happy for you, but sad for me since I have no chance of going to your stylist.

Not sure I would trush my hair to the gal I currently go to. 

My hair is fine and think, but curly and prone to getting like cotton candy.  However, I think with the right cut I could have a better look.  I need volume on the top.

Hurray that you got a good cut!  

Enjoy it...I remember being unconcerned about how I would "style" my hair.  It's a gift to love your style!

Respected Contributor

@1Professor,

That is a beautiful haircut.

Modern, fresh and flattering, I'm sure.

Congratulations!

Esteemed Contributor

@1Professor

How are you liking your new haircut after a week or so?

Just curious as I'm still trying to work up the nerve for a cut.

Reluctant to go to my regular stylist.  There is a nice salon near my home with lots of stylists.  Thinking about stopping in there with the picture you posted.