Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman  Layers starting at chin length and down with a slight slant to your ends. Heavy layer the back starting again, at what would be chin length. Volumizing shampoo and conditioner: these can be drying so wash with the volumizing shampoo first, shampoo for dry hair next, then condition. 

When ready to style, spray in Aveda volume spray (glass bottle) or thickening spray(glass bottle). Dry with BIG round brush (gives more volume) and direct the air in the OPPOSITE way than you wear it for more volume at roots.

Last, invest in the Voloome Rooter tool. Best $124 you will EVER spend on your hair!!! Use dry shampoo at roots for more volume afterwards.

From someone who has been there. Hugs.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam: How completely useful!

thankyou.jpg

Honored Contributor

One time I went to get my hair 'trimmed'. Just needed the ends snipped off. While I was sitting in the chair talking with the stylist, she said my hair was thin and could use some layers in it to give it the look of more volume. So I said:  "Yes, please do it! I need all the help I can get". Oh boy, was that ever a big mistake! Never had layers before that day and I will never have them again. I looked sickly, terrible...uuugh

Honored Contributor

Long, straight, thin, hair on an older woman just looks horrible. Everytime I see a woman with this type of hairstyle I always picture her, in my head, with a chic, cute short pixie! I've been wearing my extremely fine, poker straight hair in a spikey pixie since the 80's. I love it! I get compliments all the time! I grew mine out down to my shoulders in an inverted bob a few years ago and ugh, I thought it really aged me! Couldn't wait to cut it all off again. Short hair rules! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Long, straight, thin, hair on an older woman just looks horrible. Everytime I see a woman with this type of hairstyle I always picture her, in my head, with a chic, cute short pixie! I've been wearing my extremely fine, poker straight hair in a spikey pixie since the 80's. I love it! I get compliments all the time! I grew mine out down to my shoulders in an inverted bob a few years ago and ugh, I thought it really aged me! Couldn't wait to cut it all off again. Short hair rules! Woman Happy

@ID2: I do that ALL the time! Hair makeovers in my head! It would make such a difference in how people perceive them, how they feel about themselves . . . 

Honored Contributor

LOOKS LIKE A PRODUCTION LNE!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Re: Hair cuts and styling

[ Edited ]

Too bad in our society today, it is acceptable for balding MEN to shave their head and go bald.....for a woman people assume you have cancer IF you have a bald head....or you just stick out like a sore thumb IF You were to SHAVE YOUR HEAD just because YOU CHOOSE TO. 

I GUESS WHAT I am saying is that there is a double standard....and so women feel that they must wear a wig if heir hair thins on top...rather than feel free to go bald. 

Esteemed Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2: I do that ALL the time! Hair makeovers in my head! It would make such a difference in how people perceive them, how they feel about themselves . . . 

@1Professor& @ID2

I don't mean to, but I think hair makeovers, too! To me, you either look good with your hair off your face or on. What happens in the back, though, I don't pay too much attention to.

I've had more than 1 stylist tell me I would look good in short, pixie cut. One of these days I'm going to take the plunge...just not yet.

Frequent Contributor
I feel the pain of having crummy hair. Mine’s not curly, but not straight. I had two miscarriages in less than a year and I’ve lost a ton of hair, but only from the top and front sides of my head. I guess I shouldn’t complain because I had far too much hair to begin with but it looked REALLY odd- overly thick and bulky in the back and sparse on top. Most definitely I’d love to shave my head and start over but I kid you all not, I’d look like a boy. So scratch that idea. I found a new good hairstylist who ‘fixed’ me last week and wow am I grateful. My hair still isn’t awesome but at least it looks semi presentable, thanks to her.
We should start a club. Crummy hair ladies of America.
Esteemed Contributor

Men have it so much easier, and I've always been jealous of women who can just pull their long hair into a pony tail and be done with it! I don't have the face to pull all my hair back like that, so that's never been an option for me (unfortunately). I struggle with one side curly/frizzy and the other side straight, so shorter is better for me. What I did learn on this thread is that I should probably get a paddle brush when I'm using my blow dryer for my crazy side, since I don't do well with a round brush. Good suggestion, so thank you!