Honored Contributor

Re: Hair cuts and styling

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

Long, straight, thin, hair on an older woman just looks horrible. Everytime I see a woman with this type of hairstyle I always picture her, in my head, with a chic, cute short pixie! I've been wearing my extremely fine, poker straight hair in a spikey pixie since the 80's. I love it! I get compliments all the time! I grew mine out down to my shoulders in an inverted bob a few years ago and ugh, I thought it really aged me! Couldn't wait to cut it all off again. Short hair rules! Woman Happy

@ID2  I have worn my hair in long pixie most of my life. It controls the curl/wave, easy & fast to style (can add mousse & air dry if wish) & makes hair appear thicker. Sometimes I add styling paste, too, to spike a few layers on the top. 

I agree long straight hair that’s thin, unhealthy from years of coloring or over styling is aging. Shorter healthy hair is youthful, IMO.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Too bad in our society today, it is acceptable for balding MEN to shave their head and go bald.....for a woman people assume you have cancer IF you have a bald head....or you just stick out like a sore thumb IF You were to SHAVE YOUR HEAD just because YOU CHOOSE TO. 

I GUESS WHAT I am saying is that there is a double standard....and so women feel that they must wear a wig if heir hair thins on top...rather than feel free to go bald. 

My hair is not something I want to compete with a man on.  Yes, it may be considered a "double standard" that men look ok shaving their heads, or accept compliments on how distinguished they look with those graying hairs, but that won't make me give up trying to have the best hair possible.  That's why there are tons more hair products on the market for women.  LOL!  I have an appointment today to get my layers back, so this is an interesting post!  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@qtrmoonlady1 wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 What I did may not be for you...but I finally just let my bangs grow out (I brushed them back off my face from my side part while they grew). One of the best things I've ever done! My bangs were a nightmare, I could never get them to look the way I wanted--and if the wind blew them out of place, forget it!

Now if the wind blows my hair, I just run my fingers thru it and it goes back into place. I have the same basic style--a layered, chin-length bob--just no more bangs.

@vermint - I can relate to your bangs experience.   My hair is curly, and when I had bangs years ago, one side of them was always turning up into a horn, regardless of how I blowdried them.  One day I decided to spray them with a very strong hair spray to keep them down.  It was a windy day and as I was walking through a long parking lot to my car, I passed several people who looked strangely at me.  When I finally got to my car and looked in the rear view mirror, I was horrified to see that the wind had blown my bangs so that they were standing up straight!  Then and there I decided no more bangs for me - ever!  But I do envy people who can wear them. Smiley Very Happy

@qtrmoonlady1 I can so sympathize...mine never blew straight up, but they would get huge gaps, or overlap each other...very strange-looking. I envy those who can wear them, too!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm blessed with healthy long hair (not Crystal Gayle long, but a few inches past my shoulders).

As long as it looks good to me (and it has nothing to do with the compliments I get), I'm keeping it.

I wash it, but don't use conditioner.  I let it air dry a bit before I even comb it and air dry even more before I blow it out.  I don't use a round brush.  I just flip my head down and dry it that way using only my hands.  Somehow it straightens it, I just keep brushing my hands through it.  It's layered, so it still has fullness even though it's straight.  The sleek straight looks is not what I'm going for.  No flatirons or curling wands for me.

I want Ooomph and that's how I get it.  It's pretty darn easy.

Short or spikey hair is not for me, I don't see how it would make me look younger and I don't know how someone who has thin or unhealthy hair would be resolved by going with a pixie.

I don't get when posters make remarks about how a woman has long hair and from the back she looks like a 20 something and then she turns around and you are shocked to see an older woman's face.

Are older woman supposed to have flat square butts and a short blue perm to go with it?

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 What I did may not be for you...but I finally just let my bangs grow out (I brushed them back off my face from my side part while they grew). One of the best things I've ever done! My bangs were a nightmare, I could never get them to look the way I wanted--and if the wind blew them out of place, forget it!

Now if the wind blows my hair, I just run my fingers thru it and it goes back into place. I have the same basic style--a layered, chin-length bob--just no more bangs.

@vermint

I may have to do that!  I have tried a couple times to let them grow out and then cut them again.  I just don't think I look right without them.  I don't know what I'm gonna do with them!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Someone  here wrote that they had texturizing put in there hair. What is texturizing

Valued Contributor

In the old days, they called it thinning with the thinning shears.  This is not good for someone with natually curly hair.  IMO

Esteemed Contributor

@MomCat

Please report back after your haircut!

Honored Contributor

@qtrmoonlady1 wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@vermint - I can relate to your bangs experience.   My hair is curly, and when I had bangs years ago, one side of them was always turning up into a horn, regardless of how I blowdried them.  One day I decided to spray them with a very strong hair spray to keep them down.  It was a windy day and as I was walking through a long parking lot to my car, I passed several people who looked strangely at me.  When I finally got to my car and looked in the rear view mirror, I was horrified to see that the wind had blown my bangs so that they were standing up straight!  Then and there I decided no more bangs for me - ever!  But I do envy people who can wear them. Smiley Very Happy

@qtrmoonlady1   Do you have curly hair and trying to blow dry it straight? I got confused somewhere along the way.

Super Contributor

I feel your pain. I lost my hair due to chemo. It came back red but my hair texture is so different. Part of my hair is now curly and other parts straight. Tried lots of different products  nothing works. My husband says remember when you didn’t have any hair. 

I take a deep breathe and just deal with it. 

Good luck.