Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hair commercial gimmicks FYI

Thankfully, we are all smarter than what the Bs & As hope to suggest to us!

At least now in hair B & As, they'll sometimes say 'unstyled' / 'styled.'

In skincare Bs & As, they never tell you that those in the B consumer use "study" was told not to use any skincare at all for a couple of weeks!

@feline groovy

Thanks for the article!

So...who's selling styrofoam balls? Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NycVixen wrote:

Very interesting. Ads are meant to sell products and unfortunately they may at times go too far.

I hope this is not taken the wrong way but I happen to be someone who has always had a lot of hair. From my perspective, when I look at many of the ads they don't look that fake to me. I know I may be in the minority.

I didn't realize it was something special or positive since I've always seen it as a type of burden trying to keep up with it. That's the main reason why I cut my hair into a pixie years ago and my hair stylist still complained it was a lot of work.

So, I'm just trying to say that there are women that do somewhat resemble the hair in the ads. Perhaps not most women have this type of hair, but many do. In my cultural heritage it's the norm.

But it's not really about how much hair the model does or doesn't have.  That's not the unrealistic part at all, at least not in and of itself.  It's the magic combination of amount of hair and texture and length and how it behaves and looks and moves (on the tall, slender, beautiful model) that's realistically unattainable for your average woman, no matter what combination of those attributes she also shares.  I have a ton of hair too, but it's not sleek or smooth.  Lots of other women have sleek, smooth hair that is thick but doesn't seem to have volume because it's heavy.  And even for the women who do have perfect, shampoo-model hair, they maybe aren't the ones whose bodies or faces people want to see on TV.  And so on...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

Very interesting. Ads are meant to sell products and unfortunately they may at times go too far.

I hope this is not taken the wrong way but I happen to be someone who has always had a lot of hair. From my perspective, when I look at many of the ads they don't look that fake to me. I know I may be in the minority.

I didn't realize it was something special or positive since I've always seen it as a type of burden trying to keep up with it. That's the main reason why I cut my hair into a pixie years ago and my hair stylist still complained it was a lot of work.

So, I'm just trying to say that there are women that do somewhat resemble the hair in the ads. Perhaps not most women have this type of hair, but many do. In my cultural heritage it's the norm.

But it's not really about how much hair the model does or doesn't have.  That's not the unrealistic part at all, at least not in and of itself.  It's the magic combination of amount of hair and texture and length and how it behaves and looks and moves (on the tall, slender, beautiful model) that's realistically unattainable for your average woman, no matter what combination of those attributes she also shares.  I have a ton of hair too, but it's not sleek or smooth.  Lots of other women have sleek, smooth hair that is thick but doesn't seem to have volume because it's heavy.  And even for the women who do have perfect, shampoo-model hair, they maybe aren't the ones whose bodies or faces people want to see on TV.  And so on...

I understand. These are models so they are not the average woman. But we must also realize that it's a bit unrealistic to expect advertisements to be 100% true given that their aim is to sell. They want people to buy the product and the beauty industry is all about aspiring to look a certain way.

I'm not defending these over the top practices but at the same time I believe it's important to have realistic expectations. Things are changing and customers are now demanding more realistic ads but there will always be an element of embellishment because it's inherent.

I was never an ad model but a fit model so I know there are untruths in these industries. All I'm saying is that there are women out there in real life that have comparable hair because I grew up and see it on a regular basis in my family, at my university and on the streets of NYC. There are lot of beautiful women with beautiful heads of hair and faces. Maybe they are not exactly models but I can assure you their hair and features are similar.

~Live with Intention~
Trusted Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

It's called marketing - come on now.

Respected Contributor

@fitfuninformed wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

It's called marketing - come on now.

LOL, yes...that is the whole point.

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

So...who's selling styrofoam balls? Smiley Happy

@Harpa  I offer a set of two.  They are virgin organic foam, cold-pressed and guaranteed to make your hair look 98% fuller instantly.  They also contain special cuticular maximization spheres that nourish your hair from the inside out.

Our styrofoam ball ingredients are ethically-sourced and cruelty-free.  You can rest assured that no animals were harmed during the development and production of our product, because we care about animals.

Only $19.95 for the set.  Free shipping if you spend $40 on our site.

*Styrofoam balls contain an ingredient that may cause cancer in a small number of users.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

This post was so interesting. I enjoyed it very much.  Heres the thing, how in the heck do those styrofoam balls really work???  I wish they had a before, then an after of that one!!!,  i just see the hair falling between the balls, and unnaturally.  

The green screen was very interesting.  I have seen them used, but to see how they manipulate the hair was amazing.  There are a couple commercials that I really wanted to know how they they get the hair to fall in shiny rivers, perfect waves going up in the air and sideways.  I can see that it is done with model laying down with her head on the drape!

thanks