Honored Contributor

I agree, you need a new stylist.  You don't say what's wrong with the current color.  

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I agree, you need a new stylist.  You don't say what's wrong with the current color.  

-----------

The problem isn't with the product.  I'll fully admit I'm the problem.  For one thing, I wait until they roots are showing before I color, and I don't properly condition my hair.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

If you are doing your own coloring, and it looks awful, something is wrong.  Wrong brand, wrong color choice, something.  It should not look awful.

Have you tried Madison Reed? They have customer service that will help you. You might have overprocessed your hair.

Esteemed Contributor

I was a colorist/corrective colorist for year before going into esthetics. First I have to agree with others that he doesn't sound like the right person to color your hair.

I also have to say in 2017 there is no reason that coloring your own hair should mean it doesn't look great. At home hair color has come so far and there are some really great products out there. 

I also think that doing it twice a year is pushing it but that depends on how fast your hair grows and what color you are hoping to get to. I had ladies who came twice or three times a year that were majority gray and we weaved blond into it and it looked great and didn't need as much upkeep. Now that would be a lot more difficult to do with darker colors simply because it doesn't blend as well as gray does with blond. 

MOST STYLISTS ARE NOT COLOR EXPERTS. I went to continuing education constantly to keep up to date and to be considered an expert in coloring. There are also just people who get color and others who don't. That isn't a bad thing. I wasn't the greatest at perming because I hated it but I loved color and everything about it so I had a natural understanding of it and not every stylist does. YOu need to find someone who is considered a color expert in your town and go to a consultation and explain what you are looking for and see if that is possible doing it twice or three times a year. It may not be. A great colorist can give you an honest opinion even if that means you will not be their client and you can do that at home by yourself. They will not feel threatened to tell you that either even if that means you don't become their client. A great colorist will be booked months in advance so it isn't like they will NEED your money and that is what you want believe it or not because you will know they are telling you your options without factoring money into it to a certain extent. 

If you would like me to help you find the best colorists in your town just let me know the town you live in and I can find one for you @AuntG. They will be registered in different color associations and that will tell me not only have they had the continuing education to be able to assist you properly but they actually specialize in color and it isn't just one of the services they offer but THE SERVICE they offer and excel at. You want someone like that to give you a consultation, not a stylist who says they specialize in cuts, braids, updos, extensions, perms, straightening AND color. There isn't a stylist that is great at all of that. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I use to color my own hair to save money, I really wasn't doing a great job and it was a pain to do. Finally I decided I'm getting my hair done at the salon, I'll cut back on some other purchases to have the money to spend on it. I am so much happier getting it colored at the salon.

Regular Contributor

I think that would work good for you but I do not think taking care of our hair by an expert is frivilouous.............it is part of your appearance..............they also have great sprays that will put color in your roots and one is only $6.99 and I love it............I use it over my blodne hair as I saw someone else on here use it...........Walmart carries it and that would do great for your hair then only color by professional twice a year and you need good shampoo and conditioners............

Honored Contributor

Thank you all. @Irshgrl31201, you've given me hope.  I know I was pushing the limit thinking I could color twice a year.  I'll aim for three times a year.

Honored Contributor

What I did when my light brown hair started to get white (didn't go through a gray stage)... I started with having it highlighted at a salon.  As I got whiter and whiter - I opted to DIY and lightened my entire head.

I used a beige blonde shade - it lightened the brown enough and colored the white enough that it looked like natural highlights.  Any new white roots just blended in and the darker roots didn't look bad at al.

Depends on how fast your hair is graying and growing - to determine how often you need to lighten.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

When I had just highlights put in - I could actually get by with getting it done 2 times a year.  I think that would be the route to go. 

That is exactly what I do, i get highlights in May and Nov.--that way I am set for the summer and also for the holidays. Works great for me.

Honored Contributor

auntg--you and I must be twins- -:-) ---that's what color my hair is now--I'm 63 and had chemo 5 yers ago and lost my med brown/blond hair that grew back more grey in the brown, especially around my face. I go in 2x a year for highlights. My girl does an ash blond around my face so when it grows out you can't see such a difference. then I let her do whatever she feels like for the other color, short of purple or bright aqua; this time I got a strawberry blond for the summer, but have had a mahogany red for the fall/winter. Looks so nice. My hair is short so it cost me $75 each time.Not frivolous to me--I went thru alot 5 years ago and this is such a small thing that makes me happy! And to have someone else do it for me---heavenly!!!!