Honored Contributor

I color my own hair every six weeks and it looks awful.  Do you think there would be a way to have professional coloring done just twice a year without it looking ridiculous?  I'd like to blend my gray/light brown hair (40/60%) in such a way that--as the gray roots grow out--the root color isn't so obvious. The reason for the twice a year part is that I hate sitting in beauty salons, and I don't like spending money on frivolous things. 

Respected Contributor

@AuntG, I don't think twice a year is realistic if you want your hair to look good. I would suggest discussing highlights and lowlights with your hair dresser to blend the gray & brown, if you don't want to go for full gray coverage. I think that would be something you could expect to have done maybe every couple of months.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

When I had just highlights put in - I could actually get by with getting it done 2 times a year.  I think that would be the route to go. 

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG

Unless you find a good colorist, salon and stylist who knows how to cut your hair really does not look that much different.  If  you are like some who get several different colors put in and have to go back twice (which is life consuming) .

I also hate to wait for any luxury service.  That's why you pay and go for the luxury. You have to tell the salon your wishes.

Twice a year will not work.  I would say get it done once and go from there.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @MariotaMurielle@hoosieroriginal@hopi, the reason I want to know what is (or isn't) possible is because the older gentlemen that cuts my hair is kind of crabby and considers himself an expert on coloring.  The last time I mentioned what I would like to do, he said "you aren't ready for this".  I'll contine to go to his shop because there aren't a lot of choices in the village, but he is so insistent and I want to be more prepared before I bring up the subject again.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Thanks @MariotaMurielle@hoosieroriginal@hopi, the reason I want to know what is (or isn't) possible is because the older gentlemen that cuts my hair is kind of crabby and considers himself an expert on coloring.  The last time I mentioned what I would like to do, he said "you aren't ready for this".  I'll contine to go to his shop because there aren't a lot of choices in the village, but he is so insistent and I want to be more prepared before I bring up the subject again.

@AuntG - I'm sorry, but when your hairstylist starts telling you what you need or don't need, you need to find another hairstylist!  Find someone that listens to YOU. 

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

I color my own hair every six weeks and it looks awful.  Do you think there would be a way to have professional coloring done just twice a year without it looking ridiculous?  I'd like to blend my gray/light brown hair (40/60%) in such a way that--as the gray roots grow out--the root color isn't so obvious. The reason for the twice a year part is that I hate sitting in beauty salons, and I don't like spending money on frivolous things. 

I think if you wanted to grow out your grey hair naturally, there are 2 ways to go: stop coloring it and just let it grow out and then get a haircut to cut off the length where it had been dyed or get highlights to blend the the grey into the brown. I don't think twice a year (getting highlights every 6 months) will give you the results you'll like. Usually the highlights have to keep up w/ the regrowth...maybe every 3 months. If you do want to let the grey grow out, switch to a semi permanent hair color that washes out after a few months. 

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG

You really need to leave that stylist. 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@AuntG - I'm sorry, but when your hairstylist starts telling you what you need or don't need, you need to find another hairstylist!  Find someone that listens to YOU. 

ITA. You're the customer. The money (& tip) coming out of your wallet. It's your call how you want your hair even if have to travel to another salon. If your stylist is that crabby & difficult, it's probably another reason you only want to go twice a year...it's certainly not a pleasant experience.

Respected Contributor

If you are doing your own coloring, and it looks awful, something is wrong.  Wrong brand, wrong color choice, something.  It should not look awful.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York