Frequent Contributor

What is the best hair color brand that you have used for gray hair?  I have tried Garnier nutrisse and it didn't color my gray at all.  Two weeks ago I tried Garnier Ultra, I colored the gray roots first and then pulled the color through the rest of my hair after 30 minutes.  My gray roots are now showing after 2 weeks.  Thanks for your help.  I am not ready to go back to a salon yet.

Respected Contributor

Re: Hair color for Gray Hair

I had great coverage  from Loreal excellance. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Cairol Nice and Easy

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@susanks1 wrote:

What is the best hair color brand that you have used for gray hair?  I have tried Garnier nutrisse and it didn't color my gray at all.  Two weeks ago I tried Garnier Ultra, I colored the gray roots first and then pulled the color through the rest of my hair after 30 minutes.  My gray roots are now showing after 2 weeks.  Thanks for your help.  I am not ready to go back to a salon yet.

@susanks1  You must have "resistant grey hair"....difficult to absorb color. When I colored my hair, the stylist added a filler to the dye to help it adhere to the roots. If you have a Sally's open in your area, you may be able to ask for advise there and have them mix you a color stronger (deposit more color) than drugstore brands. Another tip is adding a stronger developer (higher percentage of peroxide) which better opens the hair cuticle allowing the color to deeper penetrate the grey roots. Sally's can do that, as well.

Super Contributor

Another vote for L'oreal. 

Super Contributor

L' Oreal

Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.